keeping lower arm straight

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

RNQ
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 8'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

keeping lower arm straight

Unread postby RNQ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Hello,
I'm relatively new to pole vaulting and Ive been working on some exercises with my coach. He has been telling me to work on keeping my lower pole vault arm straight when vaulting that way I will get more bend out of the pole. I was wondering if anyone can give me tips on how to do this as every time I vault my lower arm buckles and I "ride the pole" instead of getting a good bend. thanks

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Re: keeping lower arm straight

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:35 pm

You should never completely straighten your bottom arm. If you do, you will never be able to swing and invert. You should put pressure in the bottom arm to create space between you and the pole.
Listen, this event is called pole vaulting but should be called pole jumping. You need to jump at take off. This with the right hand grip will make the pole bend. But, who cares if the pole bends. Guys were clearing 15 feet on steel poles because their techinque was very good. Heck, two weeks ago, I had a freshman boy clear 9-6 hold 10-6 on an 11 foot pole without a bend.
Since you posted in the beginning section, I can assume that you are new to pole vaulting. Work on your run and plant with a jump at takeoff. Put a little pressure on your bottom hand and keep your top hand completely straight about your head. As these things get better, your PR's will improve.
Remember, anybody can bend a pole but not everybody can pole (jump) vault.

RNQ
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 8'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: keeping lower arm straight

Unread postby RNQ » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:50 pm

thanks for the reply. It is very informative and helpful.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”