I want to start training for pole vault

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

James Bond 025
PV Newbie
Expertise: I want to start practicing for pole vault
Lifetime Best: 0.00
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Alex Averbuch

I want to start training for pole vault

Unread postby James Bond 025 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:40 pm

Hello evreyone,

First off all sorry about my not so good english, Is not my first language as probably you will see. :)
Im 25 years old, 178 (5"10 if I'm not mistaken) my weight is 84 kg and of course hope to lose the weight as it takes in the correct training.
Running 3 days a week, easy 30 minutes, and parallel doing basics push ups/crunches/squats sets per week.
Recently i fall love in the idea to try to become an athlete. I began to test myself running 400 meter sprint, and i saw i have a lot of work to do to be a national 400 m' potential (i don it in 66 seconds with no history of training in this domain).
I like sports and atletichs seens i was 2nd grade but i hade no chance to be in athletichs organization untill now because of many things.
I really want to try work to become a pole vault athlet. I know 25yo is not a younger age to start learn basics but this is my situasion Unfortunately i get into
and from that situation I would have to prove myself.

What to you think about my chances from my starting age to be a national pole Vault athlet?
I have a good sense of sport and training allmost 6 years (Pre-military training, and in the military service) but my love is sport not military.
i suffered from knee from the army and am now completely healed so i want Begin to fulfill my dream, to be an athlet. especially in pole vault.
Want my chances becouse my start age?
There is starting index or something to start trainung Pole Vault? (speed level, jump level, power level) or it mainly a matter of technique?
and what are you offering to me?
Thats why i little fearful to contact the Athletics Association in my country, to know if it's a joke or they take my aspiration seriously.

James. :rose:

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Re: I want to start training for pole vault

Unread postby vquestpvc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:40 am

Shoot for the sky and one might become a decent pole vaulter! The age 25 is not so old to begin pole vaulting. Actually, the American record for women is Jenn Shur who didn't begin vaulting until after college. But, since then she has worked very, very hard. It is a combination of conditioning and technique. But more importantly, desire. If it is your desire to become a competitive pole vaulter then be prepared to work very hard. From your physical description (400M time), it doesn't seem like you're an elite athlete. The time of 66 seconds for a 25 year old aspiring to compete on an elite level (in shape or not) is not that great. Sorry, but honesty is were you need to be to evaluate your capabilities to pole vault. The good news is as i believe it, is that the pole vault is about developing technique. Athleticism will always rise to the top (literally), but good technique in the pole vault will compensate for a lot. For years women did not have the pole vault in track competition, however, their inclusion I believe is the best thing to ever happen to event. Women, bless their hearts, are generally perfectionists; my experience coaching them over the years. So, in regard to the pole vaulting technique, generally as a group I believe women display overall better technique. Men can get away with many faults by using their strength; for example bending the pole at takeoff. However, bending the pole at takeoff is more about technique which should subsequently flows into inverting.

So James, it's not impossible to starting competing at the pole vault at 25, but don't expect to be national quality in a month. Might take 3 years. But 28 isn't such an old age to be vaulting. Just ask one of Americas 2008 Olympic pole vault qualifiers, Jeff Hartwig. I believe he was 41 at the time.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:45 pm

Jenn started toward the end of her college career. I competed against her at NAIA Nationals :)

James Bond 025
PV Newbie

Unread postby James Bond 025 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:13 pm

Hey, thank you for your answer. I arranged the first training for sunday and i little stress right now for thinking how it will be..
becuse probably will be the only guy that stars at that situation :dazed:
I want to ask about the Elite athlet thing that i'm not. How much this fact realy important in PV? i mean, it brings the guys that running faster than me an advantage?
and if yes, what advantage is expressed?
I mean, there is non-elite athletics that get to the top of the PV levels? (it is rare?)

James.

Amm, by the way, i playd with rainbowgirl in "What will be considered an excellent result in the first year" game, :-)

James bond.

vquestpvc
PV Whiz

Unread postby vquestpvc » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:33 pm

As known in so many sports, speed is a critical element to "elite" success. The pole vault is certainly no different. And although our moms have determined our genetic fast twitch capabilities (sorry dads, I know you think it is you), one can improve sprinting technique to maximize speed. I have coached athletes in the pole vault with speed and those without speed and both have had similar success. It is interesting to note that those with speed seemingly took it for granted while the slower individuals seemed to work harder on technique. Speed is certainly a measurable ability; line up, run to the finish, stop the watch. However, desire can not nor will ever be measured. Desire will only display itself through hard work and results.

It can be stressing to start pole vaulting at any age, however, at 25 hopefully you're mature enough to be patient and realize that only through practice and reps can someone become a decent pole vaulter; to be successful at most things in life requires the same determination. Take it 1 drill, 1 practice and 1 day at a time. Don't be too eager to clear big heights at first. Work on perfecting the approach and the take off; both most critical in vaulting. Perfect swinging the trail leg and covering the pole. The heights will come with good technique. Good luck James with your ambitions.

James Bond 025
PV Newbie

Unread postby James Bond 025 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:58 am

Tanks!

So actually, what is the most important physical ability that need to PV? hands strength? high jump? long-jump? sprint? its dificult to see from videos.
By the way, my first PV trining will start in few hours :-)
olso, i with knee pain specialy in the right knee (not the hopping leg) and i'm patient physiotherapy at recovery process that should take three months,
this will greatly affect my training early or it will be possible to combine?
And olso i want to ask last question, there is some "recognition signal" in common to all Pole Vaulters?

Hope you did not get dizzy from my begginer qestions.
James.

vquestpvc
PV Whiz

Unread postby vquestpvc » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:02 am

An "elite" coach's perspective is quite different from one that works with athletes of "average' caliber. Having noted that, however, we all start from an "average" status. It seems your greatest obstacle right now is convincing the right coach that you are serious about pole vaulting. More importantly, are you convinced? As noted in prior messages, desire is immeasurable! From what you've wrote before, I don't think your physical qualities would keep you from vaulting; in other words, there is a difference between being "fat" and just out of shape. So, you need to find a coach willing to get you started. And news flash: if you have a reasonable amount of success, no coach can deny you the opportunity to continue.

Not sure what you mean by "recognition signal", but all vaulters appreciate good technique and success.

James Bond 025
PV Newbie

Unread postby James Bond 025 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:23 am

I dont think the qestion if i serious about PV is the right question.
I drive to the national athletic stadium to start learn to Pole Vault but what i get from the PV coach is "I'm not interested".
What am I supposed to do when the main PV coach in Israel say to me sentence like this? i'm ask him to tell me why, to explain to say something!
but he doing whit the head "no" with sour wuss and i didn't know what to do. I askd him for a chance and he told me that he have no reason to take me. He didn't want guys who will jump 4.00 or even 5.00, when I insisted he told me with angry face "how well you do at best, 4.00?!" i told him, give me a chance mybe i will do god results, mybe 5.00. He answer me "I want guys that will do 6.00!" I'm not interested train you. What i should do, overflow on the floor? cry? might argue till dawn? :( !

The thing is that he is the only coach in Israel Pole Vaulters made ​​something of him.
The main reason i think he didn't want me is because i look "big", especially wide and with excess fat (I weighs 191,8 lb Height 5"10) , but I see no reason to start practicing and get in shape and while training my athletic appearance will Increasingly better.

How exactly my motivation to PV will be high when this is my "negative reception" i got. Im not a 13 years old that need discipline rates to improve in something, i just need a coach that know to talk, and communicate with his people, and simply guide them to their Individual success, im asking to much? =/
By the way after i told the Professional manager of the Association what happened he send me to one of the sprints coach (the biginners one), without explaining anything to me, like a 13 year old kid.
I ask him "what's up" and he told me, "Don't worry, will be fine" and "Do not give up". I wll ask you this forum guys, what am I supposed to feel with all this anonymous behavior?
I did not whine or nag too much with questions because i saw they not eager to explain.
By the way i do 8.81 in the first 60 meters running, the sprint coach ask me to do. I am such a bad case that should give me a pole vault?

vquestpvc
PV Whiz

Unread postby vquestpvc » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:31 pm

You are in a curious position. Am i to understand that the PV coach you approached is the only PV coach in Israel? Honestly, I find that difficult to believe. Why? There have to be youth coaches somewhere, after all, where does this "main" PV coach get his 6.00 vaulters? If my conversion is correct, 6.00 is over 19'. Well, the USA best vaulters are only vaulting 6.00 and I can assure you they didn't begin vaulting that height. Oh, I completely agree with the "main" PV coach you have there, what coach wouldn't want 6.00+ vaulters. My suggestion is to search out those coaches that teach the 4.00-5.00 vaulters. I am completely unfamiliar with your system of sports, but one PV coach in the entire nation? There are at least 4 private PV clubs within 2 hours of me. Perhaps you should learn to teach the pole vault so that there are 2 "main" coaches. One doesn't have to be thin, fast or tall to coach. Obstacles are only challenges for true desire!

James Bond 025
PV Newbie

Unread postby James Bond 025 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:54 pm

I agree with you, this is so strange that i found out just two PV coaches on my area.
Evreyone i ask told me there is almost no PV coaches in Israel, and the only one's come to train in the center of the country (my area).

You got me wrong, because my faltering English, the coach didn't told me he want only guys that can jump 6.00, not at all! he told me he want guys who success in the future, with their potential to jump 6.00, and when he looked me, he Is somehow decided that I did not succeed. Of course he did not bother to explain why not only made "no" ​​with the head and that's it.

The think is that, from what i understanded from the proffetional manneger, i will need to train In the meantime with the sprint coach that not connected in some way to the PV.
I understand they want me to get in shape and improve my Sprint and then mybe they will incorporate me with the P Vaulters.
There is any taste i'll do the whole process this cumbersome, or my PV story gets too complicated?
There is one more PV coach in my area (40 minutes drive), i know he trains kids in Junior High school. and the organization i approached are serius athletics club who send athletes to national competitions so there is a better chance with them to be a better athlet,
The question is will end up i will just running instead of pole vaulting.
what is your feelings as a PV coach, why i get "no" such like this?
By the way, they explained that they are an association based on achievements. (not Association of amateurs)

vquestpvc
PV Whiz

Unread postby vquestpvc » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:16 pm

Well, as I've noted there are numerous PV coaches in the USA. Perhaps you could get one of them to come over and help you. One that comes to mind right away is often seen on this web site who goes by the name Altius. He always states how knowledgeable he is on the PV and seems interested in helping all to succeed in the event. Check him out and get in contact with him. Hate to think such enthusiasm is going to waste.

James Bond 025
PV Newbie

Unread postby James Bond 025 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:57 am

I do not have the money to bring a coach out to Israel,
When you say the sentence "Hate to think such enthusiasm is going to waste" you mean to me or to who?
sorry i don'r Insufficient understand English.
The club by the way, does not take away from me money on training.
They always "show" me that to be a PV in their club you need to be more thin from what i am, and in shape.
But i see a lot of youtube videos that shows definitely people who start to learn PV with opening data with even bad Fitness status than me,
and they get the chance and do very good results.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”