Grip height

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Kris
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Grip height

Unread postby Kris » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:32 pm

I started pole vaulting a few months ago and a currently vaulting on a 135 13'6" pole. i dont know the exact flex number but it bends relatively easily.
Anyways, i have untill now not been holding at the top of the pole as i am not good enough and we don't have any smaller poles (my school is relatively small), and i have been vaulting 9-9'6.
My guess is that i have been holding the pole at around 11'6, maybe 12'; today, however, my coach decided that i should try to hold the pole higher (at the top) hoping to get some bend and a better vault. I bend the pole relatively easily, but was unable to make it all the way into the pit (landed on the front of the mat) due to my arms collapsing early in the vault.
So my question is; should i try to work on holding my arms straight holding at the top of the pole or go back to holding it low untill i am more experienced? and are what are the most efficient methods/drills to teach a rookie vaulter to keep his arms straight and not collapsing in the vault?

Thanks you

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Re: Grip height

Unread postby vquestpvc » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:10 pm

Developing technique on a straight pole is a very good way to start. Presently, how many steps is your approach? What year are you. Are you fast? Tall? Weight? And when you indicated that "due to your arms collapsing early in the vault" you landed in the front of the pit, are you suggesting both arms collapsed? The top arm should never collapse as it is straight throughout the vault. The bottom arm might "collapse", but that is because you're not hanging well enough on the top hand (top hand bends the pole, not the bottom) or, your hands are not high enough at takeoff. Both hands should be extended above the head at takeoff. If the bottom hand is in front of the chest, it will "block" you out and not allow you to swing over the bending pole. Depending on answers to previous questions makes a difference in the suggested adjustments. But, i can always tell you, when in doubt be safe.

Kris
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Kris » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:15 pm

Im a 16 year old sophomore at 5'8 and 135 lbs - i'm pretty fast and i've been a runner for some time but nothing extraordinary. And by 'collapsing' i mean that i'm having trouble keeping my arms straight an i end up hugging the pole (could this be because i have my hands too far apart?).
Also; i have a coach, but he is a running coach and has little experience with pole vaulters, so even though he is there to give advice, his actual knowledge about pole vaulting technique is limited.

Thanks for the quick response

vquestpvc
PV Whiz

Unread postby vquestpvc » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:24 am

That would not be "collapsing", but as you so correctly write "hugging". When you takeoff, think of it as pushing the pole away with hands high in the air and continue that action through the vault; very much like jumping to a horizontal bar. Are you attempting a "free takeoff"? If you are still on the ground when the tip hits the back of the box then you are putting the brakes on which greatly slows the pole moving to vertical and actually forces you to "hug" in a natural action to be safe. To effectively and safely develop a free takeoff practice run overs on the grass or into a sand pit. Basically, you are vaulting on the ground. The objective is to jump just before the tip hits the ground with top hand extended high; free takeoff. You can tell how successful you are by how fast you go through. If it is too fast, raise hand a little. The action you just did on the ground should then be repeated into the pit; you should just be holding higher.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:43 am

PVP.. grip

Good morning

Your "concepts" of the vault are wrong! In this instance, meaning you just don't grab the pole at any grip height and the "straight arm" thing means what?

Sorry to be so harsh… but this approach is what leads us to injuries and deaths…

The first principal or "rule" is;

you only grip as high on the pole that allows you to get the pole to vertical.

What this means is you must take a grip on any pole at ANY time practice or meet, straight or bending, that you can run-plant and swing, get the pole to vertical and safely land in the pit…

as you improve your run and plant the result will be …more "force" being applied at the plant/takeoff which translates to the grip going up proportionally..

never "guess" about your grip! You should know within an inch or two of where you are on every vault. Getting the pole to vertical is the number one concept in pole vaulting.

95% of the time the grip should not be raised more the 3 to 4 inches or one grip hand width…

I have a chart that gives the average proportions of grip to jump height… for example to jump 9-6 you need a grip of 10-10…. To jump 10 feet it takes and "average" grip of 11-1

The chart is here.. www.oneapproachrun.com

RUN_PLANT_SWING

dj

Kris
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Kris » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:33 am

Thanks for the responses, and sorry if i am a bit unclear but to be honest i don't really know the different concepts and terms used in pole vaulting.
Also, as i said, we do not have a pole vault coach on my school so obviously i don't have ideal practices, and of course there are things that we/I don't do right.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:49 am

You should find this video informative and helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SSah2B6Xnw&feature=gv

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:32 am

thanks Becca...

we want everyone going in the right direction...

and enjoying the sport of course..

dj

vquestpvc
PV Whiz

Unread postby vquestpvc » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:18 am

When one is an experienced, accomplished vaulter then charts can be great. What young beginning vaulters need are simple, practical explanations of vaulting principles which certainly includes getting the pole to vertical and how; and all necessary to being safe.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:07 am

hello

the chart is good information to keep a vaulter from gripping to high... for their technical level..

if you are gripping proportionately higher than the "average" for a specific jump height it a sign you need to move your grip down and improve your technique ..

and then you will be able to start moving your grip according to the force you are generating at the takeoff..

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”