Am I vaulting with an overweight pole?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

mei814
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 6ft6in
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Am I vaulting with an overweight pole?

Unread postby mei814 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:58 pm

I been vaulting quite awhile now. I can make over 7ft HITTING the bar down :crying:
My coach had been telling me I slip about a hand or > (right hand) when I vault and I am not bending my pole at all.
I am only 156cm (5ft1in) and weight 104lb but I'm holding a 120lb pole
Is that the reason I can't bent my pole or I'm just not getting the technique?
I have another pole that's 110lb I haven't try vaulting with it at all, but when I hold it, it doesn't feel any lighter than the 120lb pole.
It actually feel a little heavier...plus there's no bent in that pole since not a lot of people had used it before.
Should i try the 110lb pole or stay with the 120lb pole?

And, my coach also told me I'm gripping my right hand weirdly.
I don't know how to explain it but can someone give me a picture on how to grip before one starts to run down the runway

Thank you!

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Re: Am I vaulting with an overweight pole?

Unread postby botakatobi » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Some vaulters have all fingers gripping the pole on the carry. A few maintain a looser grip with not all fingers gripping the pole.

It is essential that the pole be gripped in such a manner that it will not twist in your hand. Therefore, better to have contact with all fingers during the carry.

With your low grip and PR, you are better off focusing on a pole that does not bend, and a grip that does not slide. Do exercises for grip strength. Use chalk or a little firm grip to keep your hand dry and/or sticky. Listen to your coach!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”