Planting crooked?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

kabagymnast19
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 6'6''
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Allison Stokke

Planting crooked?

Unread postby kabagymnast19 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:42 am

SO right now my PR is 6'6''. According to our assistant coach for pole vault if I planted straight I could easily make 8'. Does anyone have any suggestions of what drills I can do at home to fix this problem, and anything I can do during practices and meets to help get me straight over the bar instead of landing basically on the side of the mat? Thanks so much in advance!!

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Re: Planting crooked?

Unread postby botakatobi » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:12 am

When I was in high school, I would stand in my back yard and do simulated plants against a full length glass window. This allowed me to watch myself in the glass and ensure my plant was tall and straight. I did the last three steps slowly as to not break the glass, looking at my mirror image. Do them until they are perfect and the muscle memory has been embedded.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:41 pm

You may be jumping from the side of the runway as well. Have your coach check this sometime.

jenna.117
PV Newbie
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'1"

Unread postby jenna.117 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:20 pm

grab a pole, grip low to begin, and pretend that you are planting it. have a partner on the other side. Throw the pole to your partner with one end on the ground. If you plant straight, you partner sould easily be able to catch the pole, if your planting crooked, it will be to the left or right of them. once this feels easy, start gipping higher. You can throughit with just you top arm, which is harder, or with both hands

jhaz
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby jhaz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:44 am

I use to have the same problem. Try to be as squared up with the box as possible. You could be kicking to the side whenever you plant so try to just kick straight up. You could be jumping from the side of the runway like rainbowgirl28 said. Just remember to try as stay as squared as possible

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”