Problem Extending Arms: Hugging the Pole

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

PVit
PV Newbie
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Problem Extending Arms: Hugging the Pole

Unread postby PVit » Mon May 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Hey, I'm a beginner vaulter and I have a problem with extending my arms. When I'm preparing to plant on my last couple lefts I feel that when I try to keep my arms extended when I plant, it feels as if I'm blocking out myself, or as if I'm running into the box, and therefore my arms collapse once I takeoff and I end up hugging the pole. Are there any tips that you would recommend to help keep my arms successfully extended while eliminating this blocking feeling?

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Re: Problem Extending Arms: Hugging the Pole

Unread postby botakatobi » Mon May 14, 2012 9:28 pm

If you are a beginning vaulter, your top arm should be extended at plant/swing and your body will swing alongside the pole with your bottom arm bending. Is this what you mean by hugging the pole?

PVit
PV Newbie

Unread postby PVit » Mon May 14, 2012 10:18 pm

I think so. By hugging the pole I mean that through my takeoff/swing the pole is not away from my body but kind of against my body.

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Unread postby botakatobi » Mon May 14, 2012 11:10 pm

While you are learning to swing, hugging the pole is natural.

Your maintaining distance from the pole during your takeoff and swing is a bit down the road for you.

Learn to swing first and add a nice pull, turn and push to your effort.

Get over a bar at your grip height or higher first.

Then, learn to bend the pole and you will already be a pro at swinging up and over your grip.

PVit
PV Newbie

Unread postby PVit » Sat May 19, 2012 1:25 pm

Alright, thanks! I will try to work on other aspects of my vault as well.

Another quick question: At what point down the road should I be concerned with my arms? Most of the people that watch me vault (fellow vaulters, coach, ect.) comment that my arms are somewhat lacking in my vaulting, and I feel that way too. I just can't help but feel that when if I extend my arms up before I plant I "block" myself out rather than push up to the pole, and I always hug the pole.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”