New to Pole Vaulting

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

MirCoffee
PV Newbie
Expertise: Fan
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

New to Pole Vaulting

Unread postby MirCoffee » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:32 am

Hello!

I'm a long time fan but recently i've been thinking i would actually like to try out pole vaulting!
I've played soccer, volleyball, basketball and tennis but none of them really seem to stick. Don't get me wrong, im VERY commited to things im passionate about and i have that gut feeling with pole vaulting! So, I'm a 14 year old girl, weigh 125 lbs, 5'5, and a COMPLETE beginner WITH LITTLE ARM STRENGTH :deadrose: . SO. I was wondering if anyone could offer some tips, advice, suggestions or just some opinions on how to get started, some training i should try, and maybe share some personal experiences (cause i'd really like to make the cut for my highschool team) about how you made it onto your high school team.
Thank you very much!
May :rose:

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: New to Pole Vaulting

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:45 am

In most schools, track is a no-cut sport. I recommend finding the track coach, telling them you want to try pole vault, and seeing what they recommend. If you can find a pole vaulting club or camp in your area, it will give you a HUGE head start.

Rosie<3
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6"

Unread postby Rosie<3 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:02 pm

try going to a pole vault club if you reallllly want to do it. They can be pricy. also go to the gym, start doing pull ups, ab workouts and sprints!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:39 pm

hye

somewhere i posted my "Leo" 5 vault session plan...

that is where i would start...

Dj

rbosley
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 7 feet
Favorite Vaulter: Jennifer Suhr

Unread postby rbosley » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Pole vaulting is a very core oriented sport. Try googling different core workouts you could be doing. I recommend pushups and planks! If you're really serious about becoming a pole vaulter you should look into vaulting camps in your area. They teach you proper technique and a lot of helpful drills. Most of them are very expensive, though. I've never heard about cutting people from track teams. You may want to contact the track coach and tell them you want to try pole vaulting. I'm sure they'd be very helpful in getting you started.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”