New Vaulter In Need of Pointers and Help

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

clumzyvaulter05
PV Newbie

New Vaulter In Need of Pointers and Help

Unread postby clumzyvaulter05 » Sat Jan 04, 2003 5:33 pm

Hey! :) I just recently started pole vaulting about one week ago and my coach said I caught on very well. I have only vaulted once (ever) before the meet I just had a couple days after. I obviusly didn't do that awesome. :no: THe judge there said I had talent for pole vaulting, I just need more time on the pole. He also said i could vertical as fast and as easy as anyone he knows but i just need to "ride the pole" longer. :o Does anyone have ANY tips at all to get higher, stay on the pole longer, etc.?
They are all very much appreciated.
Thanx.
If everyone is special, then no one is.

AltoonaPV
PV Newbie

Tips..

Unread postby AltoonaPV » Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:40 pm

No matter what you always want your standard deep.. if you are getting high with stands 25 or closer you in danger and you actually have a crappy vault.. yes your vaulting is very crappy and its dangerous..

work on speed.. overall to get high you must have speed..then comes technique and training... get fast!! by getting fast you will land deeper in the pit you will go through poles like crazy.. i am on a pole 35lbs over my body weight and i am able to go to longer poles. if you get on heavy poles you will launch higher in the air if you can bend

so work out with the sprinters

if you pick up the pole..try doing plant drills.. top and bottom hand drops
top hand works on getting tall on the pole
bottom hand works on pressing up

ABS!!!!!! strong abs make you swing so much better...but with your standards at deep people say you have a bad swing..if your standards are close you have a good swing but thats dangerous and shitty vaulting...i have my standards buried back and i have a awesome swing

hands up...if your hands your up that makes you jump and stand tall

those are good basic tips...now more tips determine if you drag or carry the pole.

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:47 am

First off, I can't tell if your vaulting crappy or not. I'm assuming since you just started that you expectedly have plenty of room to improve.
In responce to AltoonaPV, you do not always want your standards burried. you never want to vault with them closer then 12" from the box, very dangerous. And setting them at 25" is a good place to practice at. When the standards are further back it is an indication that you are doing some things correctly, but ideally you want your standards adjusted to wherever you think you are peaking. The location of the crossbar should not effect your swing or your vault. Vaulting not long jumping!!
I set mine usually at 22" to start the meet and can finish anywhere from 18" to 28"......my vault form never changes, though its horrible, it doesn't change.

On improviing, yes sprints are good, also stairs and plyometrics as well as working on body control in a gymnastics room is good.
Working on plant drills will help improve your vault. A few things to focus on, planting tall is important....arms fully extended, back straight and tall.... also be sure your body is square to the pit....and run fast!!!

Good Luck
"Heart"

AltoonaPV
PV Newbie

well

Unread postby AltoonaPV » Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:52 pm

well if you don't have your standard almost all the way back you are not penetrating through the pole you must do that...then the rocking of your sholders will happen your trail legs stretches back creating a C looking form with your body and it snaps back and you swing up...18 '' is way to close... ALL olympic athletes have there standards at 30 and actually i think you can go 31 and something. but we all are not olympic athletes but if your standards below 25...you need to penetrate more on the pole. its totally for stafety reason and you will get on bigger poles BETTER...but being able to land deep requires speed..so keep up the speed!

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:06 pm

landing deep should not be the focus....thats the thing. Land in the middle. If you land too deep or too shallow there could be a number of things wrong. I am very consistent at landing in the middle of the pit. Yes, even when my standards are at 18", I very rarely land touching the front mats at all. Being that I vault 15'6" on a 14'6" handhold means I've got the penetration and plenty of time to rockback and go through the motions. Its a personal preference more then anything, within safety limits...

When you are just starting out you shouldn't work with a crossbar very often at all at least until the season rolls around. Work on speed, plants, and then your form in the air.... Working without a crossbar while you're starting out will eliminate that aspect. The more you can focus on one particular aspect of the vault at a time the better.
"Heart"

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:23 pm

landing deep should not be the focus....thats the thing. Land in the middle. If you land too deep or too shallow there could be a number of things wrong.

well said

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:13 pm

altoonapv what is up w/ u and standards being far back? haven't u ever heard of an early riser? lol I have to know why you think they have to be back so far because this is not the first time i've heard this said. i have to say that when u are first starting pole vault and u are not getting a whole lot of bend to the pole, it dosnt hurt to have the standards at 17 or so. If you think that 25 and back is good HOLY COW...you would go NUTS if you heard what my standards are and i still get great height. seriously...people think i'm crazy...whatever works....for an early riser. but i do want to know why you feel so strongly about this.
POLE VAULTING....Fear is NOT and option!

PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:19 pm

clumzyvaulter05, i wouldn't be too worried if i were you. : ) if people are telling you that they see potential. then u probably will be great someday. don't take it too fast and work on basics first. as far as riding the pole longer goes ...ouch...that's one of my problems but i am working on that too. for now, i have some pretty close standards. lol and nvm that question about standards , altoonapv. i think that whatever works for you is what u should do.
POLE VAULTING....Fear is NOT and option!

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:20 pm

PvaultinGirl wrote:altoonapv what is up w/ u and standards being far back? haven't u ever heard of an early riser? lol I have to know why you think they have to be back so far because this is not the first time i've heard this said. i have to say that when u are first starting pole vault and u are not getting a whole lot of bend to the pole, it dosnt hurt to have the standards at 17 or so. If you think that 25 and back is good HOLY COW...you would go NUTS if you heard what my standards are and i still get great height. seriously...people think i'm crazy...whatever works....for an early riser. but i do want to know why you feel so strongly about this.

Since I was the first one to reprimand altoonapv, I'm also going to be the first to jump in to his defense:

YES, I also feel that you should jump with your standards deep. I never pull my standards up from 80cm (30+ inches) in practice. YES, you should be penetrating well for safety, BUT landing in the MIDDLE of the pit, not the back.

If your standards are at 12 and you come up short, the only thing between you and the ground is the box. If you get hung up on the bar at 30, chances are you'll land in the pit. Penetration is good - standards deep are good. Is there a specific standard number that's right for everyone? No, otherwise they wouldn't be made to adjust.

And finally, YES, if you have to jump with your standards really close you ARE probably doing something wrong (usually holding too high or on too big of a pole for your ability).

LAND IN THE MIDDLE!!!
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

AltoonaPV
PV Newbie

my fault..

Unread postby AltoonaPV » Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:44 pm

this some of my fault. I guess i should explain more..middle of the pit is where you want. 15'6 with standards at 18 landing in middle of pit? Yes i heard of early risers...i can swing up at that just as well...but thats if im holding high and not alot of speed. Not to brag but i do have a great swing. it is practice after practice and many sit ups... you need to move your standards back...18'' and landing deep in pit...hmm for some reason i can't even image that..i see MANY vaulters with standards at 22' and land right on the front end where the pit starts to slant down towards the box. Pick up your speed..your goal is it to penetrate more.. 11th grader here in PA gets 14..pretty much any pole 13 14 or 15..but his standards are to close...when he actually is agressive...he ends up penetrating and hitting the crossbar on the way up and he said he mest up..nope he did good penetrating..causing to get on bigger poles or even better bend and shooting him higher and should land deep in the pit (MIDDLE).. i just cringe at standards at 18' i am sorry :confused: I am not trying to take this way out of proportion.

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Just 2cents' worth

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:26 am

Just to let you know....those of you in HS that have been vaulting with your standards so close...beware....I think that the new rule that will be in effect this year is NO CLOSER than 18"....or it has been proposed. Also....what if they keep moving the minimum back...with all the increased concern for safety. If you get used to vaulting so close and get into habits that are hard to change....it WILL be hard to change if they keep making rules to move it back. Also....many college coaches force their vaulters to practice and vault in meets with the standards all the way back! You may as well practice with the future in mind if you even are considering vaulting in college. Then if you are at a meet and are getting tired or other things, you still have the option at this point to move them up. Someday you might not have that flexibility. Also, many coaches are of the mindset that you don't move to a bigger pole until you "blow through" a pole...they don't mean with your standards at 12" or 18"....you might end up stuck on a smaller pole because you can't penetrate and the coach won't let you move up until you do. These are just some things to think about. :idea:
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:52 am

Well, I wanted to start by saying that I agree that the standards should be buried. AltoonaPV has made several good points. First, it is very true that professional vaulters vault most often with their standards at 80 cm, which forces them to have to have good penetration to get into the pit. I'm not saying that just because you vault with your standards back means you will land in middle of the pit, i'm simply stating that at least at practices people should vault and train with standars at 80cm, or 30in for HS. This does encourage good habits, and can help (help being a keyword, because as above stated, deep standards doesnt mean safe). Personally i would nto feel comfortable goign any closer then about 20, probably 22. In my years of vaulting though i have moved my standards twice; once for a headwind, once at the end of an exhausting meet. Just my thoughts...
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”