Beginner Pole Vaulter

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

ill_church
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Butler

Beginner Pole Vaulter

Unread postby ill_church » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:16 am

So my schools record for girls is 6'6. I have cleared 6, and am really becoming dedicatd to my own improvement. I am a 15 year old girl, i weigh about 97 pounds. Heres the thing:im a distance runner. I run with long strides, and if itry to sprint, i start out with good form, then go to long strides that are better suited for a distance event. What can i do to get the school record? I think if iclear that and grasp the record, it will give me enough confidence to continue to improve. Thank you guys :)

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Re: Beginner Pole Vaulter

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:15 pm

It great that you are interested in the vault but... distance events and the pole vault really don't go well together. As you already know, the running stride is different. The only was you can fix this is to work with a sprint coach. A drill that will help are 20/20's from Beginner to Bubka by Alan Launder. Basically, you need to run 20 steps in 20 meters as fast as you can. It helps to have your coach count every other step 2,4,6, 8, as you run. High knees and upright posture are what you want. Also, do your run work on the track not on the vault runway. This will help you focus on the run not the box. Another drill that helps is put a towel on the track and measure your run back then run and plant into the towel. Again, high knees and up right posture. Eventually, you will work up to a slide box.

On my team, I don't allow any athlete to run races longer than 400m to pole vault. Even then, they only run the 4 x400 relay. Physically, they have no strength left to vault after they run the longer races. In my opinion, this lack of strength makes them unsafe to vault.

Good luck.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:34 pm

Basically, you need to run 20 steps in 20 meters as fast as you can. Great advice = the best practice ever to improve your run up!

Good luck.[/quote] Yes Indeed.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

ill_church
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Butler

Unread postby ill_church » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks! Ive had my coach move me into sprints, and i work every day on improving my sprinting form. Because I am the only vaulter at my school, I do not run any other events. Thanks for the tips!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”