Beginners Tips and Pulling

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

hyung
PV Newbie
Expertise: Beginner
Lifetime Best: n/a
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: n/a

Beginners Tips and Pulling

Unread postby hyung » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:03 am

Hi, I'm a very fresh vaulter and I would like to know what kind of things I should work on the most as a beginner. I know technique and cross-training are very important, but I was wondering if anyone could give specifics for beginners.

I'm around 5"8 or 5"9 and weigh 148 lbs/67 kilos. I've been jumping for about 2-3 months and can currently almost clear 11 feet/3.35 meters. I'm also wondering if anyone could gauge my potential. Right now I practice 14 hours a week (which I know isn't enough), and I plan to go to camp and train as much as I am able.

Lastly, I have a problem. A pulling problem. When I'm clear-headed it's usually not too bad, but I find that after coming back from a week break of training, I just yank with my supporting arm (my left). I'm unsure how to fix this and when I asked my coach, he simply told me "Just don't do it." Any advice on how to fix this would be great.

Thanks guys.

hyung
PV Newbie
Expertise: Beginner
Lifetime Best: n/a
Favorite Vaulter: n/a

Re: Beginners Tips and Pulling

Unread postby hyung » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:11 am

I just read the forum rules...sorry. I was a bit overeager.

Additional information:

I use a 150 lb/68 kilo pole. I don't know what a rating is.
My standards tend to be far back.
I am 17.

More about the pulling; when I pull it really stomps the brakes on my momentum or if it's a slight pull it stops me from landing deep in the pit. I'll post a video later if I can.

koreanpv
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Shawn Francis

Re: Beginners Tips and Pulling

Unread postby koreanpv » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:14 pm

I am fairly new to the pole vaulting world like you, but I'll share what I have learned from whom I believe to be amazing coaches. For the pulling problem, doing some work in the sand pit, working on just hanging from the pole, seemed to help me. Also, if you don't have a sand pit available, just straight poling from 3 or 4 lefts out will make solving the problem easier. You really want to focus on getting your hand up and keeping them up through the takeoff. Key word is up. Not forward to block out, but up.

On the subject of cross training, speed and your jumping ability is the key. Doing a lot of sprint training and doing long jump will really translate well to the pole vault. The better your sprint and jumping ability is, the more energy you can put into the vault, and the higher you can hold.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”