How to jump up and not forward

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

brandonkim44
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

How to jump up and not forward

Unread postby brandonkim44 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:38 pm

So I've started pole vaulting for 2 weeks now and all of my teammates and coach say that I keep "going forward" instead of jumping up. I kind of understand what they mean to "jump up". Like I can feel the difference when i do it correctly, but I keep making the same mistake of not converting my sprinting force into a vertical force (as my coach says). I constantly remind myself to jump up, but I don't succeed most of the time. And I practice power skips a lot in order to get that feeling, but I just can't do it consistently. I can clear around 7.5 feet at the moment, but I feel like if i can learn to jump up, i would be able to clear 8 feet 9 inches (i almost cleared it today with my HORRIBLE technique)

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Re: How to jump up and not forward

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:22 am

Check out Jan Johnson's website. http://vstraining.com/sky/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=76 The jump over drills will give the best idea of jump in the take off. Good luck

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”