need help

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Savedcool
PV Newbie
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

need help

Unread postby Savedcool » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:57 pm

i just came back from a meet i took three attempt at 6 ft http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm6R3oHu2CU, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... 4KLVM&NR=1, can you tell me what i am doing wrong

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: need help

Unread postby altius » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:59 pm

Unfortunately it looks as though you are doing every wrong! But I suspect that is because you are a beginner who has had nowhere new enough practice to this point in your career. Find a coach, listen and learn and do the drills necessary to improve. Good luck.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Re: need help

Unread postby coachjvinson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:07 pm

I looked at the first video only -

with your top arm, you are pulling - you will need to vault with a fully extended and outstretched top arm (no bend) in order to vault well - I would start there... practice this with 0Left walkovers on the infield, progressing to 1Left and 2Left - then transfer the skill and newly learned technique into the sand or the pit with your coach's direction and supervision. Track the grip height, pole length/weight/flex# and run distances every practice and every competition in a journal - know your grip height and pole from each run distance (and how many "Lefts") - this will be a better indicator of progress made than the bar heights and journaling this info will help you clear bars more consistently and timely than without journaling.

Your goal is to land deeply in the pit, with your standards deep (@80cm), with the highest possible grip swinging with a straight top arm... which only bends at the shoulder for now - you can bend your elbow as you turn to clear the bar; however, remember no early bend at the elbow during the pole plant and the swing...

I hope this is helpful: keep up the good work...
hang in there and keep asking questions
PURSUITOF2016

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”