Using a larger pole

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

slarsen1
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11.5feet
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Using a larger pole

Unread postby slarsen1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:08 pm

So look my school is flat broke and there is no help from them and i have never had a real vaulting coach, I love the sport and spend my internet time researching how to get better, I recently went up to a much taller pole, I am strong but fairly small and light, i was using a 12foot 125lbs pole when I got my 11.5foot PR but I know i can do much better on another pole especially now that i weigh 126lbs, I have tried (crazy) to move to a 14.5foot 135lbs pole gripping at like 13.5feet, and everytime i get decent bend i think but the pole just unbends and i stall straight up in the air right above the box. Am i way over doing it? should i try using a shorter pole even if it is like a 145lbs? Or is where im at not that bad? should i just try to invert and launch upwards, trying to go into the pit further off of an inversion? I have had this problem for only like one day but im concerned because it is my senior year and i want to go to state and become a great vaulter.

scpolevaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: College Vaulter and High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 14
Favorite Vaulter: Mitch Greeley and Tim Mack

Re: Using a larger pole

Unread postby scpolevaulter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:56 pm

It would be helpful if we could see what you are doing. Do you have any videos of your vaults?
Otherwise holding that low on a 14' 6'' 135 is making it more like a 13' 6'' 150 to a 155 so if you have a shorter pole in the 13' to 13' 6'' ish range that is a 145 it would probably be better to work on that pole than to us such a big pole. Having an 11.5 PR on a 12 foot pole sounds like you have decent technique so it may just be too much pole for now. With that being said if you are stalling out in the air it is NOT a good idea to invert because you could fall in the box and become injured. Keep up the good work and good luck at your next meet. Let us know your progress and if you need further help.

slarsen1
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11.5feet
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby slarsen1 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:45 am

Thanks, ill try to get a video up soon, but ya my form is pretty good and for an update, i went out and vaulted again today, holding probably at 14ft on that same pole and i was getting alittle better penetration forward when i drove my knee really hard and pushed my hands forward alot, and i had it videoed so i saw that the bend wasnt to much and then when i was about to go for a really good height (first time at a bungee with that pole) 14ft because i was right there, all my mats literally blew away :confused:

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:41 am

I suggest that no one else provides any advice until they have seen a video of this athlete vaulting; As it reads at the moment we have an accident waiting happen - harsh but true.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:18 am

Best thing that ever happen to pole vaulting is women. In my experience coaching women versus men is that women will work on developing technique with a cautious side to them. The men just want to vault high, high, higher with whatever it takes and will in many cases risk injury. Also men become so focused on bending the pole instead of doing what is necessary to develop the skills that will cause the pole to bend; there is a great difference. Experience is only gained through experience; it cannot be rushed. But, if one spends more time starting now on developing the skills necessary to vault higher, there is a possibility. What are those skills? A good approach and take off. Perhaps one doesn't have a PV coach. Well then, go to the long jump coach to work on the approach. The LJ coach can see that you're "under" the same as being "over" in the PV or see that you're running through the take off and not jumping at take off. Or, go to the high jump coach to work on the take off and see if you're tall at take off or that you drive the hands and lead leg. After all, the pole vault is a jumping event with similarities to both LJ and HJ. Then further have any coach come watch your approach and be sure you have high knee lift and are cycling through the run. Or have coach watch take off foot mark or see that your hands are high at take off; simple things that any coach can see. But please, don't think about bending the pole. With proper technique it will bend. Vault high, but vault safe; your love ones will appreciate it. All future pole vaulters and their coaches will appreciate it too because it can continue to be an event in track & field.

scpolevaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: College Vaulter and High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 14
Favorite Vaulter: Mitch Greeley and Tim Mack

Unread postby scpolevaulter » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:28 pm

Well said

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”