How long did it take you to get your form?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Dzerzhinsky
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

How long did it take you to get your form?

Unread postby Dzerzhinsky » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:01 am

Hi everyone! Recently I've developed some serious problems with my vault. A few weeks ago I was attempting 10 feet and had begun to invert and turn. However, I currently cannot even clear 9 feet and have lost any form I previously had. In fact, I'm turning waaaaay too early and now have no invert. It's really driving me insane. So here's my question; are these blunders and regressions normal? How long did it take you guys to learn to vault properly?

My stats:
15, High School Sophomore
My weight 150 pounds, pole 130
pole length 12 feet
Been vaulting about a season and a half.

littlewilson85
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Coach

Re: How long did it take you to get your form?

Unread postby littlewilson85 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:22 am

I am going to go out on a limb and say your pole is moving way to fast. You should not be jumping on a 130 lb. pole if you weigh 150 lb.

loganvaulter
PV Beginner
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6
Favorite Vaulter: sergei bubka

Unread postby loganvaulter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:20 am

I agree, i short 150 should not be hard for you to get on, you are probably over bending the pole you are on and its hard to do any vaulting when you do that, im on 3 different poles 25 lbs over my weight right now because i over bend everything else, i would say getting the right pole is the first step, as far as form, ive been vaulting 2 years now and i just finally learned to invert last week, i found that my step was inside and it was causing me to have a weak swing so i would get stuck in a v because my timing was off, as in i would get my trail leg up after the pole started to unbend so it was hard to get my hips up, but for you i would say the first thing would be to find the right pole and go from there

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:39 pm

loganvaulter wrote: ... i just finally learned to invert last week, i found that my step was inside and it was causing me to have a weak swing so i would get stuck in a v because my timing was off, as in i would get my trail leg up after the pole started to unbend so it was hard to get my hips up ...

Hey Logan, nice to hear that your technique has improved! :yes:

Please update your "highschool pole vault" thread http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=28199 with any news of your technique or PR improvements. :yes:

Dzerz: If you can't find a stiffer pole, lower your grip a bit until you get your swing back. :idea: However, you're going to HAVE to find a stiffer pole to jump legally in any HS meet.

Kirk Bryde
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Dzerzhinsky
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Unread postby Dzerzhinsky » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Alright, thanks for the advice guys. I think we do have a stiffer pole lying around, so I'll be sure to try that!

asaleh
PV Fan
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks #TEAMKENDRICKS

Unread postby asaleh » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:07 pm

I was in a similar problem in the begging of my season. I was on a 12 140 pole bending the heck out of it when I was forced to go up poles. So I was on the huge 14 foot pole and I had to straight pole. My technique got a lot better straight poleing and I jumped 2 ft over my pr. Don't be so worried if you have to end up straight poling. It will probably fix your turning issue too. Good luck.
Your only as good as your last jump.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”