please help

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

LexiLou
PV Newbie
Expertise: middle school 7th grade first year vaulter
Lifetime Best: 8 feet
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

please help

Unread postby LexiLou » Wed May 01, 2013 10:50 pm

I am a 13 year old 7th grade girl who picked up a pole vault pole for the first time 22 days ago. Everyone says I am doing great but I feel like a idiot! I have no idea what is going on. Tonight we had a tri meet I cleared 8 feet. The official asked me where I wanted my standards I said it didn't matter but the truth is I had no idea what he meant. I also watch other kids walk taking big steps to figure out where to start from I have no idea how to figure out what they are doing I just start around wherever they do. I go to a small class c school we have a track coach and he tries hard but admits to not knowing much about vaulting. I hope to find a summer camp that can help me but if anyone out there can explain what these 2 things mean and how to figure them out I would appreciate it. Also if you know of any good camps in Michigan that would be great.

Flyer Coach
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School/College coach
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Re: please help

Unread postby Flyer Coach » Thu May 02, 2013 2:18 pm

Lexi,

Clearing 8' for a 7th grader in her third week of vaulting is VERY good. I would bet your coach has measured your long jumpers approach. It's basically the same thing for pole vaulting. Go out on the track, put the toe of your left foot on the starting line, run 5 lefts or a total of 10 steps and act like your planting your pole. Do NOT try to vault on the track, only push the pole along the track as you jump like in a real vault. Have your coach mark where the pole hits the track. Do this several times until you are pretty consistent. Measure that distance and add about 6 inches to that number. Take a measuring tape to the pole vault runway and measure from the top back of the planting box back down the runway. Put a mark at your distance and that should be your starting mark. As 7th grader that measurement will probably be around 50 to 52 feet.

If you coach has trouble maarking where the pole first contacts the track, have the coach mark where your foot lands when you jump. Then go to the pole vault runway, hold the pole where you normally hold it, put the pole in the box with your right hand extended straight up over your head and directly above your left foot. Measure from the back of the box to toes of your left foot and add that to the distance you had on the track. Again, I think it will be about 50 to 52 feet for a 7th grader jumping 8'.

When they talk about standards, they want to know how far back you want the bar from the back of the box. It must be between 18" and 32". Without a bar in place, do some practice jumps into the pit and have your coach watch you from the side. The coach is looking for the point where you hips are the highest in the air and then move the standards in line with that highest point. Basically you are trying to get the standards to hold the bar where your hips reach their highest point. When you found that approximate point, look kat the base of the standards and there will be a list of numbers. What ever number matches where the standards are placed is where you want to tell them to place your standards at the meet.

I hope this makes some sense to you. You are of to a great start!! I can't help you with camp information in Michigan, but you will profit greatly from going to a good camp. Good Luck.

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Thu May 02, 2013 8:03 pm

KP athletics I think is in Rockford near Grand Rapids.
Landon Athletics is by Battle Creek.
Vault High is near Fort Wayne IN.
East Kentwood has a summer camp.
There is a father daughter in Dowagiac. ( Can't think of their name)
Grand Ledge Community Rec. has a summer track program.
Those are a few on this side of the state that have clubs and camps.

LexiLou
PV Newbie
Expertise: middle school 7th grade first year vaulter
Lifetime Best: 8 feet
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby LexiLou » Thu May 02, 2013 9:50 pm

Thank you both so much! We have my approach nailed down and I will be taking a tape with me to the next meet. You were dead on I need to start at 50. I don't have my standards figured out yet but at least I know how to figure it out so great big thank you! I am looking up the camps now I also found one at grand valley college.

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Thu May 02, 2013 10:24 pm

I would recommend putting your standards all the way back and keeping them there. Develop a good habit of always moving the pole to the back of the pit. You'll develop consistency, you'll jump more safely, and you'll ultimately vault higher.

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Sat May 04, 2013 8:59 am

Lexi,

Just a couple of things.

You couldn't have gotten any better advice as to how to get your steps down.

Secondly, perhaps your coach is not so good at the pole vault right now, but given a chance you both can learn together. Believe me, so many athletes/vaulters don't have coaches that understand the vault. Having noted that, don't worry that you're not doing what the other vaulters are doing. As a matter of fact, don't listen too much. Unfortunately, many young vaulters are self taught and have their PVing development priorities backwards, i.e. trying to bend the pole and what they think is necessary to do that.

Regarding where the standards should be.........don't sweat that. I am constantly hearing individuals saying "move the standards from 20" to 22" which really doesn't make that much difference; particularly at your level. I was taught to just keep the standards all the way back (especially in practices) so that you focus on getting into the pit.

Lastly, could you transfer to my school ( I asked first )? As already noted, your progression is remarkable for your age. But remember, keep it real. Be patience learning the necessary skills (in progression) and do it safely. A camp would be great for you. But, my recommendation is to find one that doesn't have a large enrollment and encourage your coach to attend with you.

Good luck to you Lexi.

pgvirtual
PV Newbie
Expertise: Parent, youth coach
Favorite Vaulter: Lavillenie

Unread postby pgvirtual » Wed May 15, 2013 4:13 pm

We can try to give you all kinds of advice, and it will help. But Pole Vault is quite a technical event, and complicated. It is VERY easy to learn bad habits that are then really difficult to get rid of later.

I believe you, and especially your coach, should (MUST) get the book "From beginner to Bubka and Insinbaeva too" and the DVDs that are part of the package. The advantage with this book compared to lots of material you can find on the web is that it starts with the very beginning of teaching/learning the event and continues to elite level. Check out "http://www.polevaultpower.com/store/btb.php", it is the best investment you can make at this time!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu May 16, 2013 7:22 pm

"I would recommend putting your standards all the way back and keeping them there. Develop a good habit of always moving the pole to the back of the pit. You'll develop consistency, you'll jump more safely, and you'll ultimately vault higher."

Great advice in training, but in competition you need the stands closer - as long as you are jumping with a pole that is not flexing, pretty certain as an absolute beginner, you will not get the penetration to clear bars set all the way back. So in competition compromise with the placement -put the bar where you can clear it!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”