Hugging the pole

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

rbosley
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 7 feet
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jennifer Suhr

Hugging the pole

Unread postby rbosley » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:15 pm

I've been pole vaulting for about two years now. I can usually jump 7 feet on a good day. I know, it's not that high, but I plan on going to a camp before season to improve. My coach tells me that when I vault I hug the pole, and that if I didn't hug the pole I'd be jumping at least a foot higher. No matter how hard I try, though, I can't break myself of it. Any tips on how to stop this? Does anyone else have the same problem?

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Hugging the pole

Unread postby CoachEric » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:17 am

Many beginners have a tendancy to pull, so if you never corrected this habit when you started vaulting, it can be difficult to break. You should do simple drills that reinforce good body position with open shoulders without pulling. You will have to do lots of repeitions correctly to break the habit.

Here are some basic drills that you can go through. http://artofthevault.com/articles/pole-vault-elementary-school/ Focus on opening the shoulders as your weight transitions to the pole, and do not pull!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”