THE JUMP

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

gkr
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 8
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Mike Tully

THE JUMP

Unread postby gkr » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:36 am

I'm a sophomore and I started vaulting my freshman track season. After season ended I started jumping with a club near my house, they are very good coaches, but one of them is stuck on the whole "jump." Originally I had a problem with that but I have gotten much better and have separation. All he ever says to me is "Jump" and its to the point that he is ripping down my confidence with every vault, so they get progressively worse. Today at practice he made me cry because it is the only thing he says to me, he has become really in my head and right when I'm about to run down the runway he yells at me to "Jump." The other coach and I have a really god relationship and whenever he is coaching I get things done, and I have fun. What is the jump? Is is the push off the runway- I'm just wondering cause maybe I have a different idea to what it is. Also for whoever is reading this, my next step is to complete my invert.. Any suggestions on how to do that? I need to get past the safe point- the I can still see the ground point. I really appreciate whoever reads this and answers!

Thanks!

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Re: THE JUMP

Unread postby vquestpvc » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:53 pm

The "jump" is actually a jumping action just like one would jump to make a basketball layup. Relative to track& field, it is like the take off in the high jump. When one "jumps" in a basketball layup the hand with the ball extends up while the same side knee drives up. See the similarity to the vault? Instead of a ball, it is the top hand on the pole. The key is, there is an explosive upward thrust off the ground. The action of extending the the hand with the ball or pole is to gain height (or separation as you noted) at take off. And, driving the knee is an action known as "blocking" whereby this thrust additionally adds to elevating you. A common phrase I'm sure you've hear before is that "you're under". This quite often means you run through the take off; in long jumping it is said that "you're over" which is the same. My cue to vaulters (or high jumpers) is to feel as though you are putting your take off foot down through the ground. So, I suggest you learn to jump up without a pole in your hand. Then progress to 3-4 steps working on jumping up with pole in hand. Eventually, get to your full approach at a slow pace on the track incorporating the jump. Then, again on the track or away from the pit, increase your approach to a competitive run working on jumping at the end. Maybe to gain a little more consideration from the coach giving you difficulty regarding the jump, try to have a conversation about jumping action whereby you also discuss the "penultimate step". Now I could tell you what that is, but then you'd only eat fish for a day. By finding out yourself, you'll demonstrate how serious about improving your "jumps" you are. Good luck.

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Re: THE JUMP

Unread postby grandevaulter » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:06 pm

Toughen up and don't take it personal. He's trying to help you improve rapidly. Thank him for being persistent and paying attention to your jump.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”