Advice on my invert

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

gkr
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 8
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Mike Tully

Advice on my invert

Unread postby gkr » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:04 pm

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmVj2psVpHM&feature=youtu.be/url]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmVj2ps ... e=youtu.be

I keep getting into that awkward position with my butt down, and tips on how to drive it though my hands and get completely inverted. Ive been stuck in this position for months.
Thanks!

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Advice on my invert

Unread postby CoachEric » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Your swing is stopping because you are driving your arms down. Keep your arms over your head and focus on swinging without breaking the pressure on the pole with your left arm.

gkr
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 8
Favorite Vaulter: Mike Tully

Unread postby gkr » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:58 am

Thanks for the answer! I'm still a little confused... I'm i curling up- like my arms are just stopping? Will doing the correct motion help me drop my shoulders back? I'm afraid of throwing my head back so I don't think I'm inverting at all any tips?

I really appreciate your help!!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:10 pm

Practice swinging on a highbar, then try to do that same motion on the pole.

The action needs to be with your top hand (in PV, but both hands on the highbar) stretched above your head as high as possible.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:10 am

And don't throw your head back. You should always be able to see your vault.

willrieffer
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'
Favorite Vaulter: All of them...

Unread postby willrieffer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:35 pm

The previous advice is correct.

You have what I call swing progression which is that early on your body is forward of the ideal swing angle in time. It robs you of energy early and makes you see saw on the pole at the invert dropppin your hips right about the time you're trying to get them over the pole. Much of the vault is about management of rotational energy, its initiation and timing in length control. I tell my kids this. Think about a figure skater doing a spin. When their arms and legs are outstretched they spin slow. In the vault this is what you want in the take off, early swing, and compression phase as a long slow swing "rolls" the pole toward the pit. Then a figure skater will shorten their rotational axis by pulling in their arms and legs and spin faster. This is what you need in transition to get your hips forward and above the pole. There is a balance between maximizing the early slow swing and then adjusting your swing speed mid vault so that you are not getting too far behind where your hips get caught behind the pole. Then you extend to finish.

At take off you want to be as long/tall as possible. Press the pole up and leap and drive into the take off. Kick the take off leg down. This is imperative as it imparts rotational momentum that can be added to the swing. Press along the left arm and take off foot axis to maximize your length as you kick the take off foot down. At knee extension begin working the hip of the take off leg. Swing! You have to somewhat anticipate the pole recoil and at this point shorten your rotational length, that is bring the take off leg in as you keep pulling the drive leg knee back to the shoulder. Work with the arms to close the angle between the pole and torso, but it should be much much easier if you manage your rotational length properly.

We did not see the plant in the video but just make sure you aren't leaning back at take off. That progresses the swing and kills the swing moment both early and late. You lose both pole rotation and swing rotation.

Hope that helps. Good Luck.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”