Vaulter w/no experience. Need to improve in less than 2wk

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

tenintsu326
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: N/A

Vaulter w/no experience. Need to improve in less than 2wk

Unread postby tenintsu326 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:35 am

Hi guys! I'm a high school senior at my school and I just started pole vaulting.
I'm 5'2 and I'm 126lb. I'm using a 130 pole gripping at 10'2. I'm a left handed vaulter

I just started vaulting this year and I really love it. Recently I been having very painful shin splits and it's getting hard to practice. I've been seeing my school trainer but he just kept telling me to ice it and I don't think it's working. Whenever we go to practice my coach divides the team to Group A(people who clears 6'6+) and Group B( <6 feet people). Unfortunately I'm part of group B. I have a list if problems I don't really have time to fix because my coach barely gives us time to vault. Being part of group B means I run 10 100m then 100 pole plants everyday and our practice is over. I want to clear at least 8 feet before I leave but without practice I can't really do that. I aske my coach for advice at home but all he tells me is run and I run about 3 miles everyday. I want really need some help! Also he told me today that I only have 2 weeks to practice my run and clear 6 feet before I'm kicked off the team. I fell in love to vaulting and I really want to know how to improve. Here's a list of my problems

1.I'm having trouble being sound on the ground and running with the same tempo. My coach tells me that I run differently each time and I keep telling him it's because of my shins.

2. I'm hugging the pole? I can't seem to keep my right hand straight

3. Jumping up instead of forward?

4. I'm always landing on my butt during kick throughs. I don't know how to drop my shoulder

5. My coach told us to flip? But I can't flip because I can't do the kick throughs right??

I want to know how can I improve my running in less than two weeks and improve my vaulting before I graduate. As I stated above I can't practice on the runway because I'm at group B so I don't really know what else to do :confused:
I'm really confused and I really want to improve

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Vaulter w/no experience. Need to improve in less than 2wk

Unread postby altius » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:29 am

AMAZING TO FIND THIS LEVEL OF IGNORANCE FROM A COACH - NOT THE ATHLETE NOTE - AFTER THE INFORMATION, KNOWLEDGE AND WISDOM THAT HAS BEEN AVAILABLE ON THIS SITE FOR SEVERAL YEARS NOW.

BUT SURELY THIS IS A JOKE - AFTER ALL IT IS APRIL 1ST. ;)

" I just started vaulting this year and I really love it. Recently I been having very painful shin splits and it's getting hard to practice. I've been seeing my school trainer but he just kept telling me to ice it and I don't think it's working. Whenever we go to practice my coach divides the team to Group A(people who clears 6'6+) and Group B( <6 feet people). Unfortunately I'm part of group B. I have a list if problems I don't really have time to fix because my coach barely gives us time to vault.AMAZING Being part of group B means I run 10 100m then 100 pole plants everyday and our practice is over. EVEN MORE AMAZING I want to clear at least 8 feet before I leave but without practice I can't really do that. I aske my coach for advice at home but all he tells me is run and I run about 3 miles everyday. AMAZING AND CRAZY I want really need some help! Also he told me today that I only have 2 weeks to practice my run and clear 6 feet before I'm kicked off the team. I THINK HE NEEDS SOME HELP I fell in love to vaulting and I really want to know how to improve. Here's a list of my problems
1.I'm having trouble being sound ??????? on the ground and running with the same tempo. My coach tells me that I run differently each time and I keep telling him it's because of my shins. I TAKE IT THAT HE IS A FOOTBALL COACH.

2. I'm hugging the pole? I can't seem to keep my right hand straight. NOR SHOULD YOU.

3. Jumping up instead of forward? YOU SHOULD BE TRYING TO JUMP UP IF YOUR LEGS WILL LET YOU.

4. I'm always landing on my butt during kick throughs. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT 'KICK THROUGHS'' ARE AND I HAVE BEEN AROUND THIS EVENT FOR OVER FIFTY YEARS don't know how to drop my shoulder -DONT WORRY ABUT THAT!

5. My coach told us to flip? NO IDEA OF WHAT 'FLIPS' ARE EITHER But I can't flip because I can't do the kick throughs right??

I want to know how can I improve my running in less than two weeks and improve my vaulting before I graduate. As I stated above I can't practice on the runway because I'm at group B so I don't really know what else to do :confused:
I'm really confused and I really want to improve[/quote] I AM SORRY BUT I SUGGEST YOU CONTACT HARRY POTTER OR SOME OTHER MAGICIAN BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT IS NEEDED TO DEAL WITH THE PROBLEMS YOU FACE IF YOU ARE IN FACT A REAL PERSON TRYING OT VAULT. THE CRITICAL FACTOR IS THAT SHIN SPLINTS WILL STOP YOU DOING THE VOLUE OF TRAINING YOU NEED TO DO IN ONE WEEK - NO POINT IN MUCH TRAINING IN THE WEEK BEFORE THE COMP. :crying: :crying: :crying:

BUT WHY DO I STILL THINK SOMEBODY IS TAKING THE - SORRY - EXTRACTING THE URINE? TELL ME THIS IS NOT SERIOUS.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

tenintsu326
PV Newbie

Unread postby tenintsu326 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:57 pm

unfortunately it is! I'm really nervous about this. I don't want to end my vaulting career this early so I really want to Improve :crying:

Kick troughs is when you take your jumping leg and swinging it on top of the pole (according to my coach)
Flips are the one when you rotate your body so that you land in your stomach

I haven't been able to run because of the weather but next week will ultimately decides my vaulting career.

I don't know what to do anymore

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:50 am

Once again we don't seem to be able to agree on this site regarding PV technique. Altius is completely wrong to suggest that you need a magician. As I tell the beginning vaulters I work with...................it's simply magic dust! Or, perhaps endless reps developing technique. Sorry, two weeks is not possible! Oh, and the shin splints you have are nothing to do with vaulting, but the way you run. If anything, hopefully your track coach as least works on developing better running mechanics for the entire team; especially jumpers. You know what though: a person with a real dream can not be stopped. If you like vaulting that much, you'll find a way.

tenintsu326
PV Newbie

Unread postby tenintsu326 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:18 pm

Thank you :)

I started doing some drills on the sand pit and the high bar. I want to know what other drills i can do?

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”