Please help me with my invert!!

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Brandenman10
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Please help me with my invert!!

Unread postby Brandenman10 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:42 pm

Will someone please give me coaching tips!
I'm having trouble inverting and i feel like i can't come back anymore like my hips get stuck then the pole shoots me forward!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0cbUK2 ... e=youtu.be

2nd year vaulting
wt 150
pole: 155 pacer 14'6
Last edited by Brandenman10 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Please help with proper plant!

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:58 pm

Brandenman10 wrote: ... When i plant I lock out my left arm unable to get fully vertical!
like i feel as i am getting stuck right about half way on my invert! (and yes i know my trail leg is bent)
I don't know how to fix this! Is my plant high enough?
or is it my grip width?

No, it's not your plant or your grip width.

I don't really understand what you're asking, since you already know that your trail leg is bent. Surely you're not thinking that you can swing properly with such a bent leg swing?

You seem to understand that you're not inverting / not getting "fully vertical" because of something earlier in your vault, and you ask about the plant. Although your plant could be better, and I'm sure your run could be better too (can't see that in the vids), the best run and the best plant in the world aren't going to help you that much if you don't learn to swing properly. You already know that you're tucking your trail leg in way too much. But that's just the most physically obvious fault on the vids.

<rant> I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that you've never swung on a highbar before? It's quite common that a young vaulter like you thinks that they can vault PROPERLY without any gymnastic training whatsoever. That's a huge fallacy. IF YOU CANNOT SWING PROPERLY ON A HIGHBAR (WITH A STRAIGHT TRAIL LEG), HOW THE HECK DO YOU EXPECT TO BE ABLE TO DO IT ON A POLE? :confused:

One more rant: If you don't have a highbar at your school, FIND ONE or MAKE ONE! Find one in a kids' playground, or swing on a branch of a tree, or look under the stadium bleachers for any horizontal cross-brace, and hang from that. Just don't tell me that you don't have a highbar! :dazed:

If you're considering making a highbar, also consider just buying a couple of gymnastic rings, and hanging them from something solid - this is a faster / cheaper / more portable option than a highbar, and you can swing from rings almost as well as from a highbar. You can easily keep a pair of rings in your gym bag, and hang them temporarily from the football uprights of a stadium (using very short straps). This also has the advantage of having the apparatus ready to use, just a few steps from where you vault. But if you have your choice, use a highbar, or use both. </rant>

I'm also confused about your mention of locking out the bottom arm. Are you doing that purposely, or are you asking for advice on how to stop doing that? Stop doing that - it's killing your swing.

Actually, you may be answering your own questions. If you stop locking out the bottom arm, and swing PROPERLY with a long trail leg, your vault will look much better - even with no improvements to your run or plant. :idea:

Get your coach to help you to work on your swing - first on a highbar, then on the pole. If you don't have a coach, discuss this with the guys you vault with.

Good luck!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

AwamaKrCB

Please help me with my invert

Unread postby AwamaKrCB » Tue May 06, 2014 12:25 pm

Ive been vaulting for about a year now and I still cant clear anything 6 is a stretch. Can anyone please give me advice for workouts and drills to help me make space and reach invert

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”