How high can you jump without bending?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

How high can you jump without bending?

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:14 pm

hey, how high do u think its possible to jump without bending if u have good speed, technique, and strength?

polevaultprincess
PV Beginner

Unread postby polevaultprincess » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:28 pm

i would try to get the basics so you can learn to bend the pole, you can not have good tecnique if you dont bend the pole. I went 9-6 before i learned how to bend, and regret learning how to straight pole first, because it gave me so many bad habits.

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:34 am

well people used to jump 15'6" + on bamboo and steel poles. But you would have to have some big balls to do that. Plus the technique was totally different.

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:54 am

Do not be afraid to learn to straight pole first. You can develop a lot of good habits from straight poling, though it is eventually necessary to bend the pole if you wish to jump pretty high. Just my thoughts
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

wlanier

Unread postby wlanier » Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:43 am

Straight poling is under-rated by coaches today. Straight pole helps a vaulter learn a great many aspects of the vault physically and mentally. I straight poled for 2 years in high school and have always believed I'm a better jumper and have a much better understanding of the physics of the vault because of it. To answer the initial question: Really High!

w

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”