Straight Pole Help Please

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

ShaneConnors
PV Newbie
Expertise: First Year Junior
Lifetime Best: 8'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Straight Pole Help Please

Unread postby ShaneConnors » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:05 pm

So I am a Junior in highschool vaulting my first year. I have had about 6 practices so far and have cleared 7 feet 6 inches in a meet while straight poling. I looked back at some pictures and I realized my bottom hand is not straight. Is this okay for it to not be completely straight for straight poling? When I start to put my grip back further will It be easier to fix this problem? Any input would be great. Thanks!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Re: Straight Pole Help Please

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu May 29, 2014 7:29 am

Hey Shane,

Check out how Bubka looks when he does stiff pole drills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgYQkQNwSPI

What is his bottom arm doing? Right before he leaves the ground, there is a good amount of space between his bottom hand and his chest. This is desirable and allows you to jump up through the pole. But notice that his bottom arm is somewhat straight, then bent, then extended. The point is that it is PERFECTLY OKAY for your bottom arm to bend, and it SHOULD during straight pole drills. Anyone who tells you to lock it out should not be trusted.

Instead, focus on moving both of your hands up and THROUGH the pole when you jump. The pole bends because you jump up in a good position, not because you lock or press your bottom arm.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Straight Pole Help Please

Unread postby KirkB » Thu May 29, 2014 12:17 pm

vault3rb0y wrote: The pole bends because you jump up in a good position, not because you lock or press your bottom arm.

:yes:

Also, it's IMPOSSIBLE to vault properly on a straight pole with a straight bottom arm!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”