Beginners

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Beginners

Unread postby grandevaulter » Mon May 05, 2014 9:38 pm

Here a couple of 14 year old beginners that I'm working with. I'm using the BP model and drills from BTB2. This is their second meet and only been outside for a couple weeks after the last snow melted. I'll post more videos this week and see how they progress.
http://youtu.be/8gO3Rjlz7To
http://youtu.be/cylQ4EADiXQ
http://youtu.be/l6G2ADT8OOY

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Beginners

Unread postby altius » Tue May 06, 2014 1:37 am

Suggest you focus on the turn over the bar for a while - makes a lot of things easier. :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.

Unread postby grandevaulter » Tue May 06, 2014 7:00 am

Be patient Altius. I'll post new videos soon.

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Tue May 06, 2014 1:35 pm

If I fail to bring these kids along, I'll never post here again, sell my BTB2 book and become a Monk. ;)

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Tue May 06, 2014 11:01 pm

Hey Grandevaulter,
You still freezing on the other side of the Lake? This season is 2013 part two.... I have no doubt that you will teach up these vaulters. Good luck and vault high.

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Wed May 07, 2014 9:45 am

Yesterday was the first warm day. Above 60f. We're looking at 70s this week and thunderstorms. I have a large stable of young vaulters. We'll see how many stick around after the season and vault in the summer meets.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed May 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Never doubted you old son - but if you post video you surely expect advice. My experience tells me that the longer you let kids continue to go over on their backs or without a full turn over the bar it becomes increasingly difficult to change things -but what do I know????

Keep the dil coming to make it a longitudinal study -we need more of these because young coaches need to see that development is a process - sometimes a fraught process - and sometimes unfortunately it stops completely. :D

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Wed May 07, 2014 9:17 pm

http://youtu.be/ClrBLstXiqQ This is the first boy that goes over back first on the initial video. This is from tonight. He got stuck running the 1600 shortly before this vault. It appears he is working on his pivot, but the pulls the sweep leg in shortly after take off. They do the drills well in practice but fall to pieces in the meet.

http://youtu.be/tjerMiR9XzA
This is the girl from the initial video. She does a better job turning over the bar at this height but also pulls the sweep leg in shortly after take off. We work hard on not doing these things correctly, Honest.

Good news is my other freshman girl made it over 7' (I won't post her video, it's not very sharp) tonight so I've qualified four girls for the regional meet. I have one top ten in D-4

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu May 08, 2014 3:17 pm

"They do the drills well in practice but fall to pieces in the meet."

That is exactly what one should expect to happen! And it happens no matter what sport you are coaching. This issue is exactly the point I am trying to make re the coaching process. Athletes and coaches need to understand that persistence and repetition are the keys to development - and it is often a slow process no matter how much you practice. If I can get someone to put it on PVP for me I can show some film of very talented young athlete doing drills and then jumping at a bar in practice. Unfortunately the competition film that was taken in Sydney in March was taken with a phone and is useless - need a microscope to see it.

The point I want to make is that she is the most talented young girl I have ever coached - she has been training on a regular basis - theoretically twice a week but in reality - say three times every two weeks - in a very good environment - alongside some very good technical models - with supportive coaching - does the drills as well as one could expect - but she is still not close to perfect in the full vault -and sometimes forgets to turn - especially when the bar goes up. So one of the challenges for coaches is to help athletes understand that it is a process -there is no magic bullet -and that sometimes even the best training does not produce the results you would like to see. As I often write in the dedication when a youngster buys a book - "Enjoy the journey" - i.e. the whole process of being an athlete -and especially being a special athlete --- a pole vaulter!!!! Rambling now - perhaps because it is around 4am!!!.
Last edited by altius on Sat May 10, 2014 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Fri May 09, 2014 10:13 am

altius wrote: As I often write in the dedication when a youngster buys a book - "Enjoy the journey" - i.e. the whole process of being and athlete -and especially being a special athlete --- a pole vaulter!!!!

I appreciate every bit of your wisdom. Thank you for being part of our journey.

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Sun May 11, 2014 8:57 pm

This is a younger one 14 year old that has one full year of BTB2 technique and a few months into the second year.. We can see her pole carry and approach is pretty darn good. High plant and does a nice job whipping the left leg until she breaks at the hips. She fails to pivot over the bar, this is her second 8' clearance. She does a nice job pivoting over the bar in practice at lower heights. http://youtu.be/lCYZhLWWMnk

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Sun May 18, 2014 11:29 pm

Two girls going to the D-4 State meet.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”