Begginer with a lot to improve

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

dbarrero
PV Beginner
Expertise: HS Coach
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Raphael Holzdeppe

Begginer with a lot to improve

Unread postby dbarrero » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:26 am

I will start another 'real' world post style :D
Athlete specs
Girl of 12 years old (will make 13 in october)
Experience: Around 30 sessions in 2 years. She trains three days a week in our track and field club learning all athletic programme (Sprints, long and middle races, jumps, throws, relays and hurdles)
Considerations: We don't have a pit so we train in a long jump sand pit. We travel to a neighbour city to jump in a pit every 2/3 sessions.

Valid jumps of Catalonia u13 Indoor Championship (3rd with 2.25 PB)
12 steps
http://youtu.be/psgs0L2o3cs
Jump of a competition 2014/05/22 2.30 PB (grip 2.90 / standards 50 / 12 steps)
http://youtu.be/v9B4p-WFIf8
Jump of a training session 2014/06/07 2.50 (grip 3.00 / standards 50 / 12 steps)
http://youtu.be/GBiCWMT59rI

All jumps are with UCS 3.25m 100lbs pole.
I always remember to her stay behind the pole in sand pit exercices (1 lefts, 2 lefts, 3 lefts), but when she jump in a pit her left arm turns soft. I would be honoured if any of experienced coaches from pvp make a criticism or comment. I am learning too how my young athletes ;)

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Begginer with a lot to improve

Unread postby CoachEric » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:54 am

She has a very good pole carry, and she initiates her plant right on time. Very good.

However, she gets about halfway through her plant, and she hesitates with her arms, so the plant does not get all the way up. She should focus on creating as much space as possible between herself and the pole. Her left hand should be high above her head instead of next to her face.

Teach her to create space and DON'T PULL! Even though it will help her clear lower bars, her pulling is preventing her from learning to swing. I suggest that whenever you train with a bar or a bungee up, that you keep at standards at least 80cm back, or drag the standard bases so that they are 110 - 120cm back. This will help her learn to stay really long as she swings to make the pole move to the back of the pit.

Space, long body, swing to the back of the pit.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:22 pm

A good athlete - good runner. IMHO her biggest problem - as a beginner -is her inability to swing into a complete turn over the bar. Simple go back to 6 steep -3 lefts - put the bar at one meter - three jumps with an emphasis on swing and turn -to look back at you standing on the runway. Then put the bar up to 1.50 - three jumps - keep putting the bar up while maintaining the same emphasis.

However as coach eric says she must learn to 'STAY BEHIND THE POLE' in that phase immediately after take off - this helps set up the long swing she needs. The emphasis is on jumping at take off - finishing the take off - staying behind the pole early and then a long swing into a turn.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

dbarrero
PV Beginner
Expertise: HS Coach
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Raphael Holzdeppe

Unread postby dbarrero » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:22 pm

Thanks to both for your advices. I will keep you informed how it works!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”