Pulling up the pole

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Pulling up the pole

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:17 pm

ok, i am gripping 11-6, on a 12-ft pole. but i am only jumping 8 feet. iv got good speed and strength, but my coach says im not pulling myself up on the pole. for some reason im having a hard time doing it when i jump. if you could help, please do!

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

please

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:54 pm

ok, all u people keep viewing it, could someone PLEASE help me out, and respond if you can help??

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:05 am

I assume you are straight pole jumper - you need to work on swing and turn drills - assuming a max two foot grip width - that puts your bottom are at 9'6" - you loss 8 for the box - your bottom hand is at 8'10" - if you flag it you should be able to do 9 - if you actually pull and turn somewhat higher - know if you are bending the pole - probably not staying back and then swinging (My problem - to big of a hurry) - various pole vault web sites have lists of drills and illustrations that can help. www.skyjumpers.com is one of many that has good info -
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:50 pm

When I here you say pulling myself up I invision the motion similar to someone triing to climb a rope. You do not want to do this! The drills you need to work on or pop-ups and one handers(trail leg drills) these will help reinforce the correct tech. I'm sure there are examples of these drills on the afore mentioned website.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

Psalverda
PV Newbie

Unread postby Psalverda » Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:54 pm

LOWER YOUR GRIP!!! If you are only clearing 8 feet, but gripping at 11'6, then lower you grip. This will increase your pole speed and get you penetrating deeper into the pit. You can move your grip down an entire foot AT LEAST! Jump tall, swing up, turn your drive knee over your trip leg (to turn) and push off with your top hand. You will clear 10'0. easy!

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:38 pm

yeah, but thats also gonna make the pole a TON harder to bend! u can only get so high straight-poling it!
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:58 pm

there is a limit, but you dont need to bend a pole to jump higher than 8'
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

Aviendha
PV Pro

Unread postby Aviendha » Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:00 am

yeah, i know that from personal experience, but still...shouldnt they be working more on getting the technique right than height?
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:02 am

straight poling is a great way to build several basic conepts in the vault. I'm sorry, and 8' vaulter can straight pole and still improve....yes, eventually to jump high you will need to be able to bend a pole, but for now, he shoudl be fine with a lower grip, and learning to drive, swing, and turn.
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

Aviendha
PV Pro

Unread postby Aviendha » Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:05 am

yeah i know...i made 8' 6" my first year straight pole, but i found it a lot easier to swing, turn, and all that if i was also bending the pole *shrug* maybe its just me...i'm no vaulting expert...all i know comes from personal experience and what i've learned from earl bell and my coaches

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”