Beginner to Bubka Book

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Beginner to Bubka Book

Unread postby Bubba PV » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:28 pm

I've read some responses to Altius' presentation and his defense of the book, "Beginner to Bubka". The truth is that I know the author very well and he has been a house guest in the past.

Though I've been away from the event for a couple of years, I'm back and pumped to be back. I have read his book three times from cover to cover and believe it's the best book on the event I have ever read. Please don't judge the message by the messenger as sometimes the two sides don't appear to always be meshing. The book is awesome in so many ways.

How good is this book? Buy one and I'll pay the shipping in the US. I have 60 copies in my office and have been selling them to friends and coaches at cost for $30. I don't make a cent nor would I ever accept money in any way related to the vault. Never have and never will as there were too many people who tirelessly helped me along the way, out of the goodness of their hearts. I just think the message is that good.

Just shoot me an email at bubba@bubbapv.com and we'll get it arranged. Thanks and fun jumping to you! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:00 am

Bubbapv - i am not defending the book in this forum. That was written for the benefit of athletes and less experienced coaches, not for experienced coaches like yourself. I acknowledge that the book contains some challenging ideas -especially for those who have not seriously considered the Petrov/Bubka model. If it is ever rewritten i would hope that it will be better because of the input from this forum.

Because, like many contributors here i am merely trying to use this great forum to clarify critical issues and attempt to deal with many of the myths and misunderstandings which hold back performance in this event. here i must say one of the great motivators for me to write was the news that three young US vaulters had been killed - this after watching many vaulters put themselves at risk during the Reno summit of that year.

These factors were critical to my getting off my soft backside and trying to do something useful with forty five years of experience..
I hope i have been able to disagree without being disagreeable - if i have been disagreeable i apologise -but please remember agapit has long been a personal friend. in fact i can say -in all modesty -that without my help he would not be enjoying life in the good ol'USa. Nor would have become famous for speaking wih the President - of the USA!

This is a democracy - take a vote. I can remove myself from this forum and go back to walking my dogs and drinking wine. You decide!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN

I Respectfully Disagree

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:04 am

I may have been around a long time but I'm still a beginner and will remain that way until 8' vaulters quit pointing out things I didn't really notice and new ways of thinking. Thankfully, I don't see that happening. My training partner, Jim Julian, is 71 and he just got his first 8' vault. I've learned tons from him.

The book is for everyone, especially the intermediate to elite coach. We all take for granted that it's for the new coach or athlete, but in reality, I've found it reminding me constantly of things I have been overlooking. The title says it all because there is no other category that we can fall under. Thanks again for a fantastic effort for our sport!! Bubba

gbob
PV Wannabe

Unread postby gbob » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:21 am

Altius...

Both you and Agapit have been a much appreciated addition to this forum. As you said, this is a democracy and we can chose to listen and chose to ignore... I think this is the beauty of this forum, we can disagree and still learn.

I hope you will stick around as I enjoy very much what you have to say in the matters of this sport in which we all love so much.

I am also looking forward to reading your book... I know there is more for me to learn than I could ever completely grasp but it won't stop me from trying.

Thanks again Altius, and stick around for awhile... I am still learning! (but don't forget to still walk the dogs every once in awhile.) Bubba, if you still have those books available... I would like to take you up on that offer.

-gbob

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Beginner to Bubka Ordering Info

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:37 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words gbob!! I had a mentor once remind me that the mind is like a parachute and works best when open. Another told me that the definition of insanity is expecting a different result by taking the same approach. This forum allows great possibilities for all of us. I feel very fortunate to participate with all of you!

To order a book just shoot me an email at bubba@bubbapv.com and I'll get you taken care of. Thanks again and have fun!! Bubba

agapit
PV Follower

Re: Beginner to Bubka Book

Unread postby agapit » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:12 pm

Bubba PV wrote:I've read some responses to Altius' presentation and his defense of the book, "Beginner to Bubka". The truth is that I know the author very well and he has been a house guest in the past.

Though I've been away from the event for a couple of years, I'm back and pumped to be back. I have read his book three times from cover to cover and believe it's the best book on the event I have ever read. Please don't judge the message by the messenger as sometimes the two sides don't appear to always be meshing. The book is awesome in so many ways.

How good is this book? Buy one and I'll pay the shipping in the US. I have 60 copies in my office and have been selling them to friends and coaches at cost for $30. I don't make a cent nor would I ever accept money in any way related to the vault. Never have and never will as there were too many people who tirelessly helped me along the way, out of the goodness of their hearts. I just think the message is that good.

Just shoot me an email at bubba@bubbapv.com and we'll get it arranged. Thanks and fun jumping to you! Bubba

I have ordered one one beginnertobubka.com and read it in two evenings. I realy like the book too. It has a lot of conceptual thinking and examples. I loved the pictures and analysis. It is amaizing but Alan has been focused on introducing people to the new concepts and I believe he outlined it well in the book.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Fri May 13, 2005 2:39 pm

Bubba PV wrote:I've read some responses to Altius' presentation and his defense of the book, "Beginner to Bubka". The truth is that I know the author very well and he has been a house guest in the past.

Yeah, i too, ordered a book from Bubba, and i got not too long ago and it is definately one of the best pieces on pole vaulting i have ever read, and me, being a girl finishing up her last year in highschool and about to go off to my sectionals meet today, have pulled from it a greater confidence and definately a better perspective from vaulting. I love the part about the pole vault pychology (how to handle pressure, how to prepare mentally, self talk, dealing with the first and last jump...it goes on)

Even my 2 pole vault coaches were impressed, one of them while reading it hungrily, was completely distracted for a good 15 minutes, all of us are coming to an understanding, my team mates like to just pick out what they're interested in and love it too!! I'm not even done reading it, but i have read over parts that meant something to me a couple times over...it includes all that i've ever been searching, and explains things rationally and scientifically! If you've got a worthless 30 dollars to waste, definately get this book, thanks again bubba pv!!

PS. I live in chicago, while bubba is in Texas, and it only took like 2 and a half days for me to get the book!! ;) It was one sweet deal!!

vaultmom
PV Fan

B To Bubka

Unread postby vaultmom » Sat May 14, 2005 11:55 am

We also know Alan very well and I have posted about this book on other threads... I cant say enough good things about it. I am just the Mom., watching supporting track for more then 32 years. My kids are vaulters and now are moving into coaching the event And I am finally figuring this thing out !. My Son ( jumps at BYU) has been fortunate to train with Alan and has been to Australia. He has a beautiful free plant and follows the Russian techinique. After being gone for 2 years without jumping when he came back this Spring, he read the book cover to cover and has been using it with the HS athletes he coaches. Technique is so important for beginners and this takes them step by step with great photos and diagrams. My Daughter is using this book with her vaulters at Hart HS in SO Calif...where they have a great history of track success and just this year had more vaulters out then ever before becuase she knew how to teach them the basics CORRECTLY. Every vaulter should have one in their library as a resource and every Coach should be using this book. I cant reccomend it enough.
Bob's Mom
Raise the bar

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun May 15, 2005 11:16 pm

I read this book in two nights. Good stuff. By the way altius, I hope you are going to send me a signed copy.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”