14 Foot Beginner PR

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

greenvaulter35
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.27/14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

14 Foot Beginner PR

Unread postby greenvaulter35 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:46 pm

Hey Everyone,

I began vaulting in June of 2014 (this past summer) and I've been working very hard to get some big heights this winter and spring seasons. I came into this season with an unofficial PR of 12'6" and have been jumping 12' up until my latest meet. I jumped 3 PRs and finished with a big jump at 14 feet. There are plenty of things to fix with this vault (longer trail leg swing, taller at takeoff, swing back further to get onto of the pole) but I think it looks awesome for a first year vaulter. I am open to any comments, criticisms, and notes. Thanks.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKbjJKMsceA

Run: 6 lefts (75 feet)
Pole: 14-170 lb
Grip: about 13 feet/13 feet 3 in
Bar: 14 feet
Standards: 25 in
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 165 lb

willrieffer
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'
Favorite Vaulter: All of them...

Re: 14 Foot Beginner PR

Unread postby willrieffer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:56 am

greenvaulter35 wrote:Hey Everyone,

I began vaulting in June of 2014 (this past summer) and I've been working very hard to get some big heights this winter and spring seasons. I came into this season with an unofficial PR of 12'6" and have been jumping 12' up until my latest meet. I jumped 3 PRs and finished with a big jump at 14 feet. There are plenty of things to fix with this vault (longer trail leg swing, taller at takeoff, swing back further to get onto of the pole) but I think it looks awesome for a first year vaulter. I am open to any comments, criticisms, and notes. Thanks.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKbjJKMsceA

Run: 6 lefts (75 feet)
Pole: 14-170 lb
Grip: about 13 feet/13 feet 3 in
Bar: 14 feet
Standards: 25 in
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 165 lb

That's very impressive. You're own self criticism is actually quite correct. Your approach into the plant is pretty good and the initial plant is not bad. Your early post take off position needs work.

When you take off for a brief moment you need to expand, make yourself long by pressing the pole up as far as you can as you allow or work the take off foot behind you. Press the chest up but keep the chin level as throwing the head back will progress the torso. Make space above and explode up into the pole. The take off foot should be worked back if at all possible and then reverse kicked into a whip. It's a bit like backpedaling on a bike. Much of a good vault is defined by the action and trajectory of this foot. Work on this action on some kind of high bar if you can. You want to create that long radial energy with the foot action. This is then carried into the inversion transition. Work that foot in a long sweeping arc as that energy will help get you to invert.

Will

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:45 pm

Yeh, Green, very impressive for a first year vaulter! :yes:

You may regret calling yourself "greenvaulter", because you're no longer very green! :)

I agree with most of what Will says, but you need to know that there's 2 different ideas about what to do with the bottom arm. I adhere to the idea that you don't use the bottom arm to apply any pressure to the pole, and Will does. I'm not going to say that my way is better than Will's --- I only want you to be aware of the 2 schools of thought, and it's something you should discuss and work out with your coach as to which school of thought you adhere to.

willrieffer wrote: When you take off for a brief moment you need to expand, make yourself long by pressing the pole up as far as you can as you allow or work the take off foot behind you.

Yes! You "make yourself long" by pressing with your top hand (not both hands), AND stretching the trail leg behind you. Don't confuse this with any bottom arm motions.
willrieffer wrote: Press the chest up but keep the chin level as throwing the head back will progress the torso.

Yes. I would say "press the chest forwards" rather than "up". The objective is to get a good stretch in the C position, then IMMEDIATELY pop out of that C. In your case, Green, you're not driving your chest enough. Thus you're not getting a full stretch, and you're not putting enough energy into the pole before your upswing.

Another way to say this is that you're not letting your top arm stretch back, behind your right ear. Rather, you're preventing this full stretch. You may have to limber up your shoulders to achieve this, by doing skin the cats and by doing stretches with legs in prone position and arms stretched behind you (hands touching the floor). Also, learn to let the chest stretch thru by doing short runups to a highbar.

What's important here is to stretch the chest and shoulders while still having good "takeoff posture", and not swinging before you're fully stretched.
willrieffer wrote: Make space above and explode up into the pole.

I agree with "explode up into the pole", but I wouldn't do this with any bottom arm action. You can "explode up" with your top arm and takeoff leg action. This is how you're already doing this (albeit not as explosive as it should be). You are NOT using any bottom arm action, and that's what I like to see. I think Will would like to see some bottom arm action here, but that's up to you and your coach to decide.

"Make space" isn't the wording that I would use, as that's only applicable if you're intentionally using your bottom arm. Some people (maybe not Will) think that there won't be any space between your face and the pole (called a "getting fiber-faced") if you don't press with your bottom arm, but this is a misconception. The pole WILL bend away from your face as long as you have a tall plant and a vigorous jump to the C.
willrieffer wrote: The take off foot should be worked back if at all possible and then reverse kicked into a whip. It's a bit like backpedaling on a bike. Much of a good vault is defined by the action and trajectory of this foot. Work on this action on some kind of high bar if you can. You want to create that long radial energy with the foot action. This is then carried into the inversion transition. Work that foot in a long sweeping arc as that energy will help get you to invert.
:yes:
Will, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that we're so much in agreement! :)

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

willrieffer
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'
Favorite Vaulter: All of them...

Unread postby willrieffer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:36 pm

With vaulters at this stage I tend to think more intentional/psychological wording is superior which is why I didn't say anything about the arm. Trying to keep it simple. So there are some trade offs. In some sense this advises an experiment from the vaulter to become comfortable with some basic aspects.

Forcing the left arm can be trouble, especially if its just an addition to an already flawed vault. Plus I think there is a scale limitation to it, as I said I don't think you could find a person that could copy RL on a 10' pole.

All that stuff IS posted in "advanced" for a reason!

Again, this looks like a very very impressive start to a vault career.

Will

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:51 am

willrieffer wrote: Forcing the left arm can be trouble, especially if its just an addition to an already flawed vault.
:heart: :yes:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:46 pm

Greeny,

Your plant and take off are fine. Your left arm position and action is fine.

One thing that will prevent you from getting on longer stiffer poles is your sweep leg. You pull it in before you swing to the cord of the pole. Even the great "tuckers" swing the leg long and straight at this position. You can continue to add energy and rotate the pole forward by keeping it (sweep leg) long when you break at the hips and to cover the pole.

High bar or rings will help you with your leg sweep.

Be careful of well meant advice from strange strangers on the internet. Seek out reputable clubs, coaches or clinics. Your coach seems to be doing a great job with you.

greenvaulter35
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.27/14'

Unread postby greenvaulter35 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:51 am

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate all of the feedback and I like the introduction to the two schools of thought as well. I really enjoy looking through this site and I will keep posting into the discussions. For future reference, should I post newer updates in the Intermediate or Beginner Technique forums?

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:59 am

greenvaulter35 wrote: ... should I post newer updates in the Intermediate or Beginner Technique forums?

Based on how long you've been vaulting, you're a beginner, but based on your PR, your an intermediate.

I'd post in the intermediate forum if I were you. There's lots of other 14-footers there, and you'll be at 15 before you know it. :yes:

Don't forget to post your PR on your bio. We'll be watching it climb! :star:

Kirk

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”