Could I have potential?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

jsolka
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: My coach

Could I have potential?

Unread postby jsolka » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:36 pm

So I am a junior in high school and this is my first year ever pole vaulting. I recently quit gymnastics this past summer and I competed level 9 before I quit so I was good at it. Anyways, since this is my first year vaulting, I've only cleared 6'6". The season is just starting, and the whole winter season we didn't have a pit at our school so all we were able to do was drills. I know people keep telling me stuff like "Oh you can get some college money if you wanted to" and stuff like that. I am really starting to think about it, and college pole vault is something I am interested. It's kinda hard right now to tell if I will be good enough for anything significant in college, but does anyone think I have potential? I'm not sure if I should really be thinking about college since I've just started, but it's my junior year so I really need to get going if I am. Once again this is only my first year, and I am very interested in looking into going to college for vaulting. What should be a goal height for the end of this high school season to know I'm on the right track to be able to get recruited?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Could I have potential?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:02 pm

If you want to get recruited you should try to jump 11' in a meet by the end of summer, that might get you some interest from some of the smaller schools.

Work on getting faster, gymnasts tend to have poor running mechanics.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”