New vaulter, cannot hold on to pole

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

New vaulter, cannot hold on to pole

Unread postby theczar » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:17 am

Hi everyone
I'm coaching a beginner athlete that is just starting out, and is already having a lot of issues. She is very excited about learning, almost to the point where her own ambition is actually getting in her way, making her very frustrated very quickly.
She is only 3 training sessions in, and has not progressed at all since the first one. We’ve only done sand vaulting drills with her, and the main issue is she cannot hang on the pole. Doesn’t matter if it is a 1 step or a 6 step; she’ll put the pole in the sand and her hands slide down ~1ft down the pole and basically jump without using the pole. I don’t think her strength is the issue…she can do ~3 pull ups, which is I think is reasonable for a 16yo beginner (but still needs work :D ), which leads me to believe this is almost completely mental. Her background is cheerleading and sprinting (100/200m) and is fairly fit overall.

This is what I have tried so far:
- 6 step (3 stride) runup into sand, pole at shoulders, plant and swing through. Not effective
- 4 step (2 stride) runup into sand, pole at shoulders, plant and swing through. Not effective
- 1 step (half stride) step/jump into sand, starting with pole tip in sand. Still not effective.
- Hanging on a pullup bar with light swinging back and forth. She did fine, but didn’t help with vaulting

What I’m thinking about doing:
- A-frame drills. Get 2 big poles and tape them together at the top, place them in the sand with tips ~3ft wide. Have her run up to the A-frame, jump up and grab as high as she can, and then hang through. I think this will get her used to “dead hang” on the pole and build confidence.

I’ve used this drill in the past with intermediate jumpers to train them to jump better at the takeoff with decent results.

Unfortunately I don't have any videos of her jumping, but I'll try to get some at our next session next week and update this post.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? She’s really keen about pole vaulting and I’d hate for her to quit because she’s getting frustrated. Help! :confused:

Thanks!

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: New vaulter, cannot hold on to pole

Unread postby GasPasser » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:32 am

I suggest you try these, from David Butler - a well known US elite vault coach.

My guess is that her grip is too high, she needs to build confidence before gradually moving the grip up. Your drills should be started with standing grip. That is, with the pole between or beside her feet, standing grip is as high as she can reach on the pole with her top hand and keeping the heals on the ground.

theczar
PV Follower

Unread postby theczar » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:21 pm

^ That's where we started, and she was still having issues. When we did the 1 step into the sand she was only holding ~4 inches above standing grip, and she would still not hang on the pole.

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby GasPasser » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:08 pm

Hmm, have you tried Duct Tape? :o Just kidding!

Here's the link I forgot to include in my previous reply.
http://artofthevault.com/articles/pole- ... ry-school/

theczar
PV Follower

Unread postby theczar » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:13 pm

Ah...thanks for the link! I'll try those drills at our next training session and I'll be back with results.

Thanks!

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:31 pm

Try a zero. Left foot directly behind pole, pike right leg and have her roll forward. Sometimes it takes longer than three lessons, be patient.

Cat lady
PV Beginner
Expertise: Pole Vaulter's wife
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby Cat lady » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:47 pm

Just curious, how did she make out?
Were your efforts productive?

charlie
PV Pro