Moving up to bigger pole

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

olls
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Moving up to bigger pole

Unread postby olls » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:08 pm

I've vaulted for 2 years, just started in this season 3 weeks ago, and qualified for state meet/moc's. I've been using a pole that's slightly small for me (12' 170lb) but I weight a bit over 170. I had to do a really aggressive weight cut (10lbs) in order to use if for my state meet and I would rather not do that again. Our school has really poor resources (at least for the track team), so my only other option for a pole is a very old, stiff 180lb (13'6"). For this weeks past state meet I just tried to use it (again the timing due to bad athletic dept.) but I couldn't make it to the mats. I would get a bend going, then stop short and fall in the box or off the mats entirely. I have MOC's coming up this weekend so I was thinking I'd try it again, suggestions? I was holding about 6in from the top of the big pole when I was using it, because lower seemed too stiff.

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Moving up to bigger pole

Unread postby GasPasser » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:20 pm

Do not, I repeat, do not use that larger pole! That is way too much of an increase for you. Plus, you said you were holding 6 inches from the top of the bigger pole - that's at least a foot increase in grip from the pole that you can jump on. Way too much of an increase at one time!

My recommendations:
1 - Get your weight back down below 170
2 - try to borrow a slightly bigger pole - no more than a 10 lb increase at the same length. If you get a longer pole - no more than a 12'6" - 170. Look for a club in your area that may loan or rent poles.

It is very hard to find poles for your weight at your current grip height - and you can't suddenly up your grip safely. It needs to be done slowly and safely with the right size poles. Get into a club that have PV coaches and plenty of poles.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:45 pm

GasPasser wrote: ... do not use that larger pole!

My recommendations:
1 - Get your weight back down below 170
2 - try to borrow a slightly bigger pole - no more than a 10 lb increase at the same length. If you get a longer pole - no more than a 12'6" - 170. Look for a club in your area that may loan or rent poles.
:yes:

Your PR is 10-6 and your grip is 12-0. By improving your technique a bit, you should be able to clear 11-0 or 12-0 with that 170.

So another option is to shorten your run by a couple steps on your 170 (which will give the pole a stiffer bend), and just accelerate faster down the runway.

You could also try lowering your grip on it by about 4" or so (which will also give the pole a stiffer bend).

But you'll still have to get your weight down.

Focus more on your technique, and less on the pole. :idea:

Kirk
Last edited by KirkB on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

olls
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby olls » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”