New Vaulter Here! Any tips for building coordination and confidence?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

paytonpower
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Yelena Isinbayeva

New Vaulter Here! Any tips for building coordination and confidence?

Unread postby paytonpower » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:33 pm

I just started PV and can only practice during the weekends for about two hours per day because my school is currently unequipped for vaulters. I have had about six hours of instruction so far and I am way behind the other beginners. At 5'11" (as a female), I supposedly have the height advance, but I have never done anything acrobatic before. As a result, I am somewhat lacking in form/technique and would like to improve upon this at home somehow. Are there any drills for this? We began by learning the 1-2 plant and I am pretty alright at that, but once you start adding more steps I start to struggle. I'm simply not as used to maneuvering my body like a gymnast is and I have no idea how to combat this. I'm relatively light for my height at 149.6lbs and use a 10' pole, but I have yet to make it over the bar.

My coach has also told me that my confidence seems low, and that I'm thinking too hard. Although I just started PV, I enjoy it greatly and want to get better. How can I overcome these mental and physical barriers? Any advice would be much appreciated!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: New Vaulter Here! Any tips for building coordination and confidence?

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:59 am

paytonpower wrote:I have never done anything acrobatic before. As a result, I am somewhat lacking in form/technique and would like to improve upon this at home somehow. Are there any drills for this? ...

... How can I overcome these mental and physical barriers?

Don't worry about your lack of technique - just have fun! The fun is in the journey!

Join a gymnastics club if you can, or look for an opportunity to use ropes, highbar, rings, uneven bars, or trampoline. Also try parkour, or using the bars (or any other exercise equipment) often found in parks.

There is a strong correlation between these gymnastic skill events and the skills you need for PV.

Besides, if you find PV fun, you will also find gymnastics and parkour to be fun!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Cat lady
PV Beginner
Expertise: Pole Vaulter's wife
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Re: New Vaulter Here! Any tips for building coordination and confidence?

Unread postby Cat lady » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:01 pm

What other sports have you participated in?

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”