Critique please looking for plant help

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Bjack6635@gmail.com
PV Fan
Expertise: High school
Lifetime Best: 14 3
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Critique please looking for plant help

Unread postby Bjack6635@gmail.com » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:48 pm

I have a young lady vaulting 8 foot on a 10'6 altius 120 pole she has a bad habit of pinning the pole against her body and it causes her to be under most vaults. We do a lot of sand work to practice the row but it's not translating to the box. The link below will take you to a slow motion video

https://www.coachseye.com/v/LNpa

This is a 8 foot vault
Top hand 9'10
Bottom hand 8'5
120 lb altius 10'6
Vaulters wieght 108-112
Height 5'5
She is on a 5 step left foot approach

I'm looking at moving here to a 10 foot 110 with a max hold at 9'4 any opinions

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Critique please looking for plant help

Unread postby GasPasser » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:46 pm

Any way you can post a video that is not upside down for us non-Coaches Eye users?

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:16 pm

I think the bungee is distracting here. She's doing what comes natural - trying to get over the bar. But she's taking too many shortcuts to get there, since the bar's so low. In particular, she has her trail leg behind her as her pole's rolling towards the bar (and as she's gaining altitude), and that part's good. But then she doesn't swing her trail leg at all. Instead, she just lifts it directly over the bar.

Without any bungee or bar to distract her, you should teach her to swing and invert. Once she learns how to get upside down on the pole (by swinging her trail leg, then put the bungee back up.

No comment on her pinning the pole against her body, because it was hard to watch this vid when it's not upright. I think you should also try to get a better vid of her full run. It's really hard to watch the way it is.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:26 pm

She is late in her plant which is causing her to be a full shoe and a half. Please post a video of her full run so the coaches can help you.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:37 pm

Bjack6635@gmail.com wrote: We do a lot of sand work to practice the row but it's not translating to the box.

Usually, the so-called "row" is a fault that you try to get rid of. You seem to imply that it's a good thing. :confused:

I don't see too much of an issue in inverting on sand vaults by "rowing" - just to get the feel of getting upside down - as long as it doesn't become habitual.

But I don't think you want to do the same on a full vault with a bending pole. Instead, you should try to swing to an inversion - WITHOUT "rowing". :idea:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”