Bending the pole and over bending the pole

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

RJmackey36972
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Me

Bending the pole and over bending the pole

Unread postby RJmackey36972 » Fri May 13, 2016 4:30 pm

Hey I'm Ryan I'm a first year pole vaulter I've cleared 10' and I've gotten over 11' in the air. I weigh about 133 lbs and have wrestled most of my life. I'm currents having a problem with my pole now though. When I first learned to bend the pole I quickly started over bending and blowing through our 130lb pole and then moved up to our 145 but now I'm starting to over bend this pole and blow through with it and the pole is pretty new too. I don't understand why I would over bend it though it's a 12'4" pole and I'm pretty far under it weight wise I tried to move up to the 150lb pole but have found the transition pretty rough and I'm not even capping the pole. So I'm wondering if their is a reason I'm over bending it cause I know a lot of pole vaulters who use poles under their weight with no problem and if theirs nothing I can really do to fix it what can I do to make the transition easier I'm holding at about 11' on the 150lb 12'6" pole. Please help it's getting close to the end of the season and I wanna clear 11 I know I have the ability too since I've gotten that height before

Bjack6635@gmail.com
PV Fan
Expertise: High school
Lifetime Best: 14 3

Re: Bending the pole and over bending the pole

Unread postby Bjack6635@gmail.com » Mon May 16, 2016 2:24 pm

Simply truth is some kids are just strong tray to grip your 12'6 around 12'2 top hand getc someone to give you a little push to help you get safely into the pit as you get more comfortable move your grip up 2 fingers and keep going

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon May 16, 2016 3:20 pm

Bjack6635@gmail.com wrote: ... try to grip your 12'6 around 12'2 top hand get someone to give you a little push to help you get safely into the pit as you get more comfortable move your grip up 2 fingers and keep going

This is terrible advice, BJ. You've never even seen a vid of RJ, and already you're advising him to (1) grip at 12-2 (14" more than his normal grip!) and (2) get someone to give him a little push? You have no idea!

Instead, RJ, I suggest that you find a coach or buddy that can give you some sound advice track-side, else post a vid.

You also seem to have a misconception that the weight of the pole must be close to the weight of the vaulter. This isn't necessarily true. The only requirement for high school is that the weight-rating of the pole must be AT LEAST as heavy as the weight of the vaulter. So it's just a minimum.

As a wrestler, you probably have good strength, and a good strength-to-weight ratio. Thus, you should be able to (eventually, with enough practice) clear 11-0 with just an 11-0 grip, even without bending the pole much. Don't worry about bending it, just worry about swinging properly - with or without a bend. Then if you're blowing thru, raise your grip a bit.

But whatever you do, DON'T rely on someone tapping you (pushing you into the pit). This is bad, bad advice.

You have focused your questions on your difficulties with bending a heavy pole, but once you post a vid, I'll wager that your issues have a lot more to do with your technique than with the amount the pole is bending.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Bjack6635@gmail.com
PV Fan

Unread postby Bjack6635@gmail.com » Wed May 18, 2016 10:16 am

Kirk this is a young vaulters correct? This vaulters has cleared 10 foot bungee and 11 bungee. I don't know many first year vaulters that vault over there top hand even with yes over not many. Second box ads 9' to this so at the minimum I'm guessing his top hand is at 12' but his issue is over bending a pole, which leands to the idea he has a max grip on his 12'6 pole. So again I reiterate my advice grip down around 12'2 on the 145 the drop in grip stiffens the pole so he won't have a feeling of over bending.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Fri May 20, 2016 8:00 pm

BJ, he never actually said what his grip was on his soft pole, so your recommended 12-2 is just a guess. Maybe you're right and maybe you're not. He also has not explained why he's only gripping at 11-0 on the stiff pole. So until he explains what he's gripping his soft pole at, and why he's only gripping 11-0 on his stiff pole, there's no point in guessing that 12-2 is the right grip on the stiff pole. It might be, but we just don't know enough to exactly say.

RJ, can you shed some light on this?

But my main point was about the tap, which you avoided replying about.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Bjack6635@gmail.com
PV Fan

Unread postby Bjack6635@gmail.com » Fri May 20, 2016 11:23 pm

The tap is or push at take off aids younger athletes in safely landing in the pit. This prevents rejection and aids in confidence for younger athletes to attack the box box with a high plant. Here is a prime example https://youtu.be/HArrbk9np0c

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat May 21, 2016 12:08 am

BJ, the drill that's shown in your vid is NOT the same as what you're advocating.

In the vid, the coach is teaching the proper form on the plant, takeoff, and "C" position, and he freezes the vaulter in the "C". He does NOT tap him or push him through his swing so that he's "safely landing in the pit".

And the purpose of the drill in the vid is NOT to help the vaulter get onto a bigger pole.

You said:
Bjack6635@gmail.com wrote: get someone to give you a little push to help you get safely into the pit

What you state and what the vid shows are 2 entirely different drills.

Kirk

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:42 pm

RJ - Kirk's advice is (and "unadvice") is right on.

FWIW, without seeing video, this is usually a "good problem" to have. It's a sign you're doing some things well.

Don't get hung up on needing to clear x height by y date. Settle in for the long haul and you'll do better.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”