Inversion problems (ENTIRE TEAM!)

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

lakesidepv
PV Wannabe

Inversion problems (ENTIRE TEAM!)

Unread postby lakesidepv » Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:59 pm

I am very frustrated! My entire team is having a hard time getting their feet above their hips. We've got good takeoffs/plants, but when we get up in the air, we all try to clear without getting inverted first. Consequently, we're not getting everything out of our poles. We've done lots of short run popups w/ swingups, but we can't seem to convert that concept/skill to a full approach.

What can I do?

monopoly00
PV Wannabe

Unread postby monopoly00 » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:49 pm

Get stronger in your upper body by doing crunches and push-ups. Also, try doing the Bubka Drill.
Trying to get vertical

vaultin chris
PV Pro
Expertise: (Almost) Elite?
Lifetime Best: 5.42
Favorite Vaulter: Everyone Who Vaults

Unread postby vaultin chris » Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:17 pm

focus on the trail leg swing. it attributes greatly to inversion. work on the strength, flexiblity and control of the trail leg.
Chris Smith
http://jumpchrisjump.com

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:35 am

I counter what you say about everyone having good take offs. A good take off leads to getting inverted, almost effortlessly because of momentum and stretch reflexes. My guess is the kids are probably jamming there left arm too much causing there center of mass to pass the pole to early. Try turning the bottom arm out a bit and empasize the bottom moving upwards dynamically. That migh help. Then again, might not. LB

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Most of the time vaulters hold higher than they should.

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:29 pm

Most of the time vaulters hold higher than they should.

Remember this is pole vaulting not pole bending.
Anyone gripping higher than they vault needs to be reevaluated as to what length pole they need to be on or lower their grip.

In most cases where the vaulter is gripping less than 1 foot over the height they are jumping you can lower the grip by 1 ½ fists and get results.

The hips cannot invert as the pole pendulum dominates the jump.

We use as a rule of thumb to jump on poles rated 15-20 lbs over your weight before moving to the next length pole.

You will see immediate results by lowering the grip or moving to a shorter stronger pole.
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”