longer pole

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

RiverRatvaulter
PV Newbie

longer pole

Unread postby RiverRatvaulter » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:26 pm

if u r holding at the top, and getting good bend, does a longer pole give you more time to swing up then a shorter pole, before it shoots you up?

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:44 am

I am no physicist, but, as a general rule, I would agree that a higher handgrip ought to yield more "hang-time", so to speak. Of course there are numerous other factors that can and will affect your amount of time in the air, as well.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Oldcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby Oldcoach » Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:28 am

I assume the original question was asked because you think that a longer pole will stay bent longer giving you more time to get inverted.My thought is that you still have to be timed up with the unbend to "get off" the pole at the correct point. With a longer pole you takeoff farther out and thus the pole and your body have to travel a farther distance to the "get off" point. This does require more time but the relative time between your body and the pole does not change. So if you need to invert you need to figure out how to improve your swing speed not slow the pole down.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”