The free take off: key to success or giant hoax

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Do you attempt to teach/use the free take off

yes
77%
no
23%

Total votes: 44

MightyMouse
PV Follower

The free take off: key to success or giant hoax

Unread postby MightyMouse » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:49 pm

I went to Slippery Rock Pole vault camp recently. Coached by Mark Hannay one of the top PV names on the east coast, and was alarmed to find out he did not teach the free take off, or pre jump. In fact he listed his preferences in take offs as "1) plumb 2) INSIDE 2inches 3) outside 2inches." I had previously completely bought in to the Pre jump/free takeoff, but his statements on the issue have made me start to reconsider my views. What do you think? this also let me know how hard it is for the PV community to standardize a technique, when authorities in coaching cant even come to a consensus on the takeoff
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:22 am

The closer the pole is to being vertical before it is bent the better (providing little speed is lost).

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:11 am

I think it would be awesome to be able to do, but considering right now my pole is bent before I'm even close to getting off the ground :o , i think i'll be happy if my step gets at least where it's supposed to be.

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:28 am

what were Mark Hannay statements that made you reconsider??
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:01 am

Running a camp doesn't make you an expert on technique. Neither does being a professional coach or having moderate success as a coach.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:46 pm

achtungpv wrote:Running a camp doesn't make you an expert on technique. Neither does being a professional coach or having moderate success as a coach.

good point, but he sited sources such as Rick Attig and Petter McGinnis.

It was interesting becasue at the same camp was Alan Launder author of from begginier to Bubka coach of many 18+ vaulters and strong proponent of the prejump/ free take off.
19 Years Old

Petrov/Launder student

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:50 pm

Peter Supports the idea behind the Free Takeoff. His statement was that the pole should not strike the back of the box till the vaulter is on his or her toe and is about to break contact with the ground. This statement is very similar to the same principle behind the notion of a free takeoff/PreJump.

In all three cases the vaulter is finishing the final stride completly and is not being dragged off the ground.
Last edited by ADTF Academy on Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:47 pm

ADTF Academy wrote:Peter Supports the idea behind the Free Takeoff. His statement was that the pole should not strike the back of the box till the vaulter is on his or her toe. Which is the same principle behind the notion of a free takeoff.

I apologize I must have mixed up some names.
19 Years Old

Petrov/Launder student

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:47 pm

ADTF Academy wrote:Peter Supports the idea behind the Free Takeoff. His statement was that the pole should not strike the back of the box till the vaulter is on his or her toe. Which is the same principle behind the notion of a free takeoff.

that is not the same as the free takeoff. the free takeoff entails that you are free of EVERYTHING when you leave the ground. the whole idea is that you should leave the ground w/o the pole hitting the back of the box yet. this way you start to bend the pole with your hands higher in the air/with a greater angle between the ground and pole with the same or more energy than if your pole starts to flex before you leave the ground.

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:00 pm

During my first meet of the outdoor season my stride was a bit off for my jumps and I ended up taking off a bit before the pole hit the back of the box. No complaints tho :D I PR'd by 2ft that day. It makes some sense to that your hands are higher up and the pole is "more" vertical once it hits the box. So.... yeah. :yes:

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:34 pm

SKOT wrote:

that is not the same as the free takeoff. the free takeoff entails that you are free of EVERYTHING when you leave the ground. the whole idea is that you should leave the ground w/o the pole hitting the back of the box yet. this way you start to bend the pole with your hands higher in the air/with a greater angle between the ground and pole with the same or more energy than if your pole starts to flex before you leave the ground.

I asked Coach Alan Launder (one of the biggest Coaches pushing the Bubka model) in person about the definition of a free take off, he said a free take off is when the pole hits the back of the box as the vaulters toe is just barely in contact with the ground. The prejump is when the vaulter is completely off the ground before the pole hits the back of the box
19 Years Old

Petrov/Launder student

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:36 pm

To throw this out there, several coaches said they dont teach the prejump free take off because it causes vaulters to reach forward with their hands towards the box, so they end up taking off with their hands in front of them.

Any ideas on how to avoid this in teaching the free takeoff?
19 Years Old

Petrov/Launder student

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”