Training high school vaulters year round

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

GeorgeN
PV Nerd

Training high school vaulters year round

Unread postby GeorgeN » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:09 am

I am a new coach, old vaulter from NJ. In the 70's we vaulted year round in the freezing NJ outdoors. We loved vaulting.
Now I am in Florida and I will be entering my 2nd year as the vaulting coach at a high school.
I have attempted many times to convince the athletic director to allow me to coach the vaulters year round. He thinks he will be fined. Any one have any ideas on getting around this?
If you don't have the ability, and you don't have the desire...............

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Re: Training high school vaulters year round

Unread postby cdmilton » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:48 am

Sounds like you need to start a USATF club and open it up to athletes from other schools. Each state has different rules on this.
Chris Milton

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:31 pm

You will have to research the Florida high school rules on coaching your own high school athletes out of season.

If you can find a place to jump, starting a USATF club can help with liability insurance.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Year round

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:42 pm

I coach the Knoxville Track Club vaulters year round through the club. So you should be able to use that vehicle to give them a full year round training session.

htheodore
PV Whiz

Unread postby htheodore » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:56 pm

I am employed by an ISD in Texas and was on the coaching staff at the high school. I built a facility at my house to train vaulters year round. During the season I was a vault coach for the school, but out of the regular track season (summer and fall) I could not charge my athletes to train even on my own facility. My AD told me that if I were operating a club, I needed to remove myself from the "coaching staff". He called the UIL to make sure. I chose to remove myself because the kids wanted to train year round. You could have your AD check and make sure.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”