Vaulting in cold temperatures

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

mjaubbs40
PV Whiz

Vaulting in cold temperatures

Unread postby mjaubbs40 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:17 am

Anyone know temperature limits for poles? We've jumped from short runs of 3-4 lefts as low as in the 30's. Gotta love western NY.
But with a 10 day cold front looming with temps below freezing--I was wondering at what temperature are flexible poles no longer safe to use?
And, are rigid poles (straight pole vaulting/non-bending) safe?
(This is of course given the obvious that athletes perform better when warm--our kids have great gear, only complain about cold toes & hands).

JerryL
PV Beginner

Vaulting in the cold

Unread postby JerryL » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:02 pm

I don't know about temp limits for poles, but I'd be concerned about safety and performance of the athletes in those temperatures. Our rule here in Kansas is that if it isn't above 50, we don't practice PV outside.

This year I set up our pit in our HS gym for the first 2 weeks of practice. I put our rubber rollout runway down first then a wooden box on plywood that extends to the gym wall with the mats on top of the plywood. It's working great.

Jerry
KS PV Coach

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:08 pm

As long as you stay between -20 degrees and 150 degrees your poles should be just fine.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:09 pm

There's nothing unsafe about the poles themselves in colder temperatures, just the obvious effects it has on the kids, and the poles themselves get pretty cold to the touch which can be uncomfortable.

Just keep them on shorter/softer poles and they'll be fine.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”