Coaching interventions

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

mjaubbs40
PV Whiz

Coaching interventions

Unread postby mjaubbs40 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:44 am

Tonight, as an opposing coach I had to ask another coaches athlete to stop vaulting at a meet because I felt they were unsafe. Unfortunately I asked him after he crashed into the right standard instead of before. Here were the symptoms: he was way over bending the pole and not penetrating. Then the pole just threw him and not always in a predictable manor. My analysis:
Run--way too long
grip--way too high
pole--way too soft (13/40 and I'm sure this kid weighed over that--not to mention the poor takeoff that still crushed the pole)
Not a good combination.
He somehow made 10-6 by planting the pole at best by his ear and just barely penetrated.
His coach couldn't understand my concern and only said, "he's made 12' before."
I asked them politely out of concern to lower his grip and move to a stiffer pole. They scratched.

I know there have been conversations/threads about "coaching interventions" and I thought I'd start a thread sharing stories to see what happened.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:29 pm

Good for you. You did the right thing although I'm sure it was uncomfortable for you.

- master

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:44 pm

I always use the 3 strikes rule. First unsafe vault, I politely ask the vaulter or coach to correct the unsafe behavior and explain how and why. If it happens a second time, I ask them again to correct it and warn them that one more jump like that and the vaulter is done jumping. Third time, vaulter is done. no questions asked. This usually applies to consecutive jumps, as any smart coach or vaulter will either take the advice or correct it themselves. about 95% of the time its because of a vaulter overgripping.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

mjaubbs40
PV Whiz

Unread postby mjaubbs40 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:36 pm

master wrote:You did the right thing although I'm sure it was uncomfortable for you.

- master

The most uncomfortable part was feeling like I had to justify my qualifications and knowledge to the other coach who looked at me like I had 2 heads.

stormvault
PV Fan

Unread postby stormvault » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:49 am

It is too bad that the performance (12') or bending a pole is an indicator of proficency to some coaches.

To play devil's advocate, at what point does it become other coaches responsibility to shut a kid down? Should meet management have a say? If it is not your athlete are you held liable if that athlete gets hurt?
Of course, in your case mjaubbs40, where was the kid's coach?

mjaubbs40
PV Whiz

Unread postby mjaubbs40 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:49 am

stormvault wrote:To play devil's advocate, at what point does it become other coaches responsibility to shut a kid down? Should meet management have a say? If it is not your athlete are you held liable if that athlete gets hurt?
Of course, in your case mjaubbs40, where was the kid's coach?

The coach was at the pit and with the athlete the entire time. At no point did I hear any conversations trying to improve technically or perform a safer vault--just about how high he was jumping. He was definitely a nice guy, just with inexperience at the vault. Heck, I've only been coaching for 9-10 years and still can learn a ton, through experience and interaction with others who share their knowledge and experience--which was basically what I was trying to do with him.
I'm not sure how liability would work, but I'm sure an aggressive lawyer would make life miserable for all involved. That might be a good question for Russ.

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:33 pm

I think liability would fall mainly on the coach. But if it is at your facility and you are hosting the meet I say stop the kid you can always insist on safety at your own pit.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:28 pm

Good call. I have only made that call a few times. Safety first! It's got to be the responsibility of the event official to make sure everyone vaults safely, regardless of their pole vaulting "expertise".

CoachT
PV Wannabe

Unread postby CoachT » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:18 am

Good for you. :yes: You did the right thing. It would have been harder to watch someone get heart. :crying: It is not easy to do the right thing, but what you did, was for the safety of the vaulters. I have had to do it myself and it does not feel good, but I know that kids is still walking and breathing today. That is what is most important.
Last edited by CoachT on Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's a great day to be a vaulter

SinCity
PV Nerd

Unread postby SinCity » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:46 am

hart. (hurt) fill (feel) importation.(important).

Forgive T, he's from Oklahoma. Gotcha Again :P ;) :D Ha Ha
"Na, but I think I still in good shape to compete and beat them." Bubka

SinCity
PV Nerd

Unread postby SinCity » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:23 am

I guess CoachT is smarter than he looks, because he used the editor, to make me look crazy. Kuddos T for using technology to your advantage
"Na, but I think I still in good shape to compete and beat them." Bubka

BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter, Volunteer High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.35
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Fri May 16, 2008 7:47 am

We had a situation at our Sectional last night that made me feel pretty sick as a coach...

A senior vaulter who's a 13'+ jumper from another school has been overweight on his poles all year...

I'm not 100% positive on what exactly went down, but he was jumping on poles at the least 10lbs under his weight... and my team's other pole vault coach ended up calling him out on it and taking it to the official. Since he made the jumps and i guess the coaches had his weight marked wrong or knowingly were allowing him to jump on poles under his weight, he got disqualified.

He's a hell of a nice kid, and it was a bad way to go out at the sectionals nonetheless. It sucks that the only time officials are required to weigh athletes before vaulting is at the state meet. Plus if his coaches had done the right thing since the start of the season and had him jumping on the right poles, he'd have been jumping last night, and could have advanced.

What a hard call to make. :(
suck it up.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”