Athletes....

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

baggettpv
PV Master

Athletes....

Unread postby baggettpv » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:35 am

Been at this coaching thing for a long time. Many successes and many failures. So I have a question to all the old guys/girls out there about athletes. If we could break down a successful athletes physical, mental and emotional characteristics into their simplest forms what would those be?

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
Good coaching is good teaching.

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:33 am

1. Motivation/Determination

It annoys me when the HS kids I coach don't care or don't do/finish their workouts when I am not there to supervise.
Chris Milton

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:02 am

Great topic Coach Baggett!

These are the qualities that the most successful athletes I've coached have had:

Physical - extremely strong and efficient for their size, which took a ton of work to achieve.

Mental - very positive, focussed and determined. Open to change.

Emotional - never a dry eye after a bad outing, but re-focus soon after and find some positives, wherever they might be. Overwhelmed after a great day, but disappointed after that third miss knowing they could have made the bar.

CoachT
PV Wannabe

Unread postby CoachT » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:27 am

I have been coaching for a little over 15 years now. I think that there are four things that make up an elite athlete in every sport.
1. being able to understand a concept
2. being able to put the concept to work
3. being com and rational in the most extreme condition
4. pure athletic ability
When an athlete has all four of these things you will get an elite athlete. I know there is more things that make people the best of the best, but these four things are what I think are the most importation to becoming an elite athlete.
It's a great day to be a vaulter

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

characteristics

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:11 pm

In high school I agree with Coach T. However, the one I would add is the willingness to be coached........especially in high school if they are good enough to become good they are probably good in a number of other athletic events. I have a problem losing them to cheerleading, dance, volley ball, soccer and a half a dozen other things...

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

elites

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:14 pm

Also as I think about it. There are probably not more than a handful of coaches who can take athletes to elite levels. There haven't been many programs that (over the past 15 years or so) have produced consistantly those who can become elite athletes..

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”