Why don't high school best make it to International level?

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

baggettpv
PV Master

Why don't high school best make it to International level?

Unread postby baggettpv » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:15 pm

Where are you guys? You can't be at meets all night! Let's share some info and ideas and philosophies!!!
How about this......
Why don't the high school best make it to International level 6 years later? Done the research. Doesn't happen often enough.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
US Senior Coach (not sure about the Senior, I'm only 52!)
Good coaching is good teaching.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:41 am

My opinion is that they are lacking in quality coaching, for the most part, after high school and college. Combine that with no funds, training facilities and equipment and you can see how hard it would be to climb to the international level.

vaultwest
PV Whiz
Expertise: college coach, masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaultwest » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:17 pm

I would say there are a number of factors, here are a couple of ideas in no particular order.
1. I think that athletes mature at different speeds and sometimes the earlier maturing athlete does better in high school but then gets caught and then passed as the late maturing athletes get it going. Sometimes this is purley a physical thing where they are just not physical enough at the next level to be international class, but more often they just have a hard time mentally dealing with not being the best any more and stress builds and their development suffers.
2. I think that for so many athletes they have a limiting flaw in their technique that starts early in their jumping in High School and then through their college years they do not take the time or they do not focus enough to correct these flaws. Some examples could be in running with the pole correctly, Planting the Pole correctly, Taking off with the pole correctly. So many programs are all about always trying to improve in the short term and score points at the next meet and not looking at the big picture and the long haul trying to developing a vaulter over a multi year plan. The longer these bad habits stay, the harder it is to correct them and soon it seems the athlete determines they must just maximize their strengths and make excusses for their flaws. As the vaulter gets older these flaws often cause carrier ending injuries and limitations in the vaulters performances that preclude jumping at the international level.

It takes a lot of discipline and a good plan to develop an athlete physically, mentally and technically to get them to the international level.

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:28 pm

I think it is partly due to access to facilities and resources. At least locally there is no way for a vaulter to train outside year round. There are no public indoor tracks or vaulting facilities. Currently the only places to vault are at the colleges or high schools. In the winter it is almost impossible to get access to the indoor facilities due to them being booked by the school from 8am to almost midnight. I also think that is is not economically feasable for athletes out of college to spend the time they need on training while still being able to support themselves. The lure of a real job and money could be a big factor. I'm not an elite vaulter or know of too many to know why they didin't go on after college. Maybe in a few years I will have a better understanding as there will at least be a few 13+ female vaulters graduating from college in this area.
Chris Milton

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

interesting question

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:06 pm

That's an interesting question. Rick something you said in another post rings very true. Good programs are built on time and not athletes. I've recently see the results of a very accomplished high school athlete go to a school with a new coach and struggle mightly. No heighting in almost every meet this year. I think another factor is the rate of discplacement of many coaches. The lure of bigger bucks and loftier positions will always decimate programs by having the foundation of the program leave..I'm sure that is a contributor to the reason why these high school elite athletes may just stay good and not become world class elites.

baggettpv
PV Master

development....

Unread postby baggettpv » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:38 am

So with all we have said now I want to ask where would you send an accomplished high school vaulter with sound developmental technique and physical abilities comensurate with their age level? Don't be afraid now...
Just curious and don't say where they will succeed academically, I know that! haha, school teacher remember

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
Good coaching is good teaching.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:23 am

Until there is agreement on a common acceptable model across all levels from high school to Olympic level there are always going to be problems.
Since there is little indication that this will ever happen the problems will continue and talented kids will not reach their potential. Sad - but as usual egos and xenophobia get in the way. Still keep trying old son and remember - waddever! :rose:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:15 am

What do these currently have in common:

Olympic Record 5.95
World Athletic Final Record 6.01
Collegiate Record 5.98
American Jr. Record 5.71, second on world list
Penn Relays Record 5.80
Sea Ray Record 5.85
Mt Sac Record 5.80
Last 3 US Olympic Trials Champions (12 years, not a bad run)
1/3 of the last 6 men's Olympic PV medals won(not a country)

Answer:

Tennessee Alumni (no not a country)

is this the kind of info that fits here????

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:04 am

While your post does not quite relate to the question Baggett asked dj, I wonder if you could clarify how many of those performances were by an athlete - or athletes - associated with or influenced by Roman Botcharnikov - or is the answer still zip, zilch etc??? :rose:

Incidentally the Mount Sac record is now out of date - it is now held at 5.81 by an athlete who has definitely been influenced by Petrov -- although all credit is due to his coach Brian Yokohama for encouraging Giovanni to spend time in Formia last year. ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

tenn

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:10 am

actually, altius, Roman was not, nor has he ever been involved with the University's program or any of their athletes. Until last year Jim Bemiller has been the lone PV Coach for the past 18 years.

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:42 am

But Roman coached Lo in 2000 when he won Silver. On the other hand B coached Lo to an American indoor record [I think]

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

lo

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:55 am

Truth is B coached Lo up to just a coupleof months before the Olympics...at least that's what Lo told me....

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”