Need Clarification of some Field Tests and Data

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

Powervaulter
PV Whiz

Need Clarification of some Field Tests and Data

Unread postby Powervaulter » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:25 pm

Hello coaches,

In the book "From Beginner to Bubka" on p.124, Figure 20.1 has 8 tests that correlate to PV performance. It essentially implies that...

For a 3.00m vaulter, the athlete should be able to (on average):
1. run a 30m flying start in 4.2s
2. run 100m in 13.6s
3. Standing LJ 1.65m
4. Do 38 vertical jumps (I need clarification on this exercise... is this the # of exercises before exhaustion/failure?)
5. Standing TJ 5.75m (clarification... could this be standing on a R, jumping onto R, then L, then into the sand?)
6. Do 10 reps of inclined situps in 19.0s (clarification... what does "10% of Speed Strength" mean?)
7. Bench 84 (clarification... what are the units? If it's "% of Speed Strength", I need to know what that means.)
8. I'm not sure what to call the last one... pullovers I guess. 5 for 11 reps, but again I need help with the units.

Once the tests are clarified, I would also like to have some data for higher level vaulters. I did a linear extrapolation on all the exercises, and here are the results:

For a 5.80m vaulter, the athlete should be able to (on average):
1. run a 30m flying start in 2.8s
2. run 100m in 10.8s
3. Standing LJ 3.75m
4. Do 80 vertical jumps (if this the # of exercises before exhaustion/failure)
5. Standing TJ 9.25m
6. Do 10 reps of inclined situps in -0.6s (um... see my problem with a linear extrapolation on this exercise?)
7. Bench 267 (units to be determined)
8. Pullover 154 for 1 rep.

Do these extrapolated results hold true? Obviously not for #6, but what about the others?

If anyone has a different set of field tests with a set of norms for pole vaulters, I would love to get a copy.

Thanks!
My motto is like my blood type: B+.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Need Clarification of some Field Tests and Data

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:38 pm

Powervaulter wrote:Hello coaches,

In the book "From Beginner to Bubka" on p.124, Figure 20.1 has 8 tests that correlate to PV performance. It essentially implies that...

For a 3.00m vaulter, the athlete should be able to (on average):
1. run a 30m flying start in 4.2s
2. run 100m in 13.6s
3. Standing LJ 1.65m
4. Do 38 vertical jumps (I need clarification on this exercise... is this the # of exercises before exhaustion/failure?)
5. Standing TJ 5.75m (clarification... could this be standing on a R, jumping onto R, then L, then into the sand?)
6. Do 10 reps of inclined situps in 19.0s (clarification... what does "10% of Speed Strength" mean?)
7. Bench 84 (clarification... what are the units? If it's "% of Speed Strength", I need to know what that means.)
8. I'm not sure what to call the last one... pullovers I guess. 5 for 11 reps, but again I need help with the units.

I jumped 3.20m in high school with a 100m PR of 14.9 and long jump PR of 4.00m. I ran the 100 and long jumped quite a few times, it wasn't a case of needing more technique in those events.

Obviously speed was a big limiting factor for me.

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:14 pm

3.75m standing long jump for 5.80m guy is very very high. I know at least 10 5.80m guys who are no where near 3.75m

Standing TJ is generally done from two feet (ie 2 feet, R, L or 2 feet, L, R)

baggettpv
PV Master

Geez.....

Unread postby baggettpv » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:35 am

These abilities are what you need to be training for, not requirements! Andjei had all this info in the '80s and it changed my whole idea of whats necessary to jump high. Especially for the HS kids. I still us his tests to determine the training needs of athletes. Actually made a hypertext program that showed a balance of the training needs for athletes but my graduate advisor didn't accept it as a viable masters project (1989). Oh well. If I can find the file I will make it in PDF format on my website.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
Good coaching is good teaching.

Powervaulter
PV Whiz

Unread postby Powervaulter » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:06 pm

Rick, this is exactly what I'm looking for... a set of tests that will highlight both strengths and weaknesses, in order to tailor-fit a training program to an athlete. I would very much like to see your tests and norms.

The only tests for which I have vaulter-specific data are the ones from the table in BTB. In order for these tests to be useful to me, I need clarification on #4,6,7 and 8 (see my first post). Can anyone clarify the Vertical Jumps, and % of Speed Strength?
My motto is like my blood type: B+.

baggettpv
PV Master

Tests

Unread postby baggettpv » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:08 am

I'll see what I can do.
I can always mail you a copy.
Rick
Good coaching is good teaching.

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:46 am

To me, the standards (and I realize that they are merely guidelines) are not parallel to one another. An athelte that can SBJ 3.75m is a FERAK compared to someone who can STJ 9.25m... but these numbers are very interesting however.

I have seen some things like this (for elite men... i have no idea for women... I apologize in advance..);

20 pull ups in 20 seconds
in the neighborhood of 3.35m for SBJ
3 hop (not standing TJ, but 3 consecutive hops) ~9.75-10.0m
can run 9.8+ m/s (flat, no pole)
Standing vertical around 34-38"

...you know... freakish things like that

I have also seen things about muscle ups, power clean and snatche to body weight ratios..

but its like becca said, one area can be made up for by another, there are a few 5.80m guys that cannot run that fast, and there are a few that have only jumped 5.20 that are that fast...

...just my thoughts..

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:01 am

Guidelines are good to get an idea of generalities but there are plenty of freaks at the bottom end of the spectrum that should not be able to vault high but do.

I knew a guy, Jon Nelson, that was 6'2"/145, could bench press a max 1 rep of 170 lbs and run, if lucky, an 11.2 100m. He was able to grip 15'10" and he jumped 17'8 1/2".
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”