Practice pit and pole age questions

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

iamchrismoran
PV Newbie
Expertise: Coach, Former HS/College Vaulter, Current wanabee
Lifetime Best: 11'6"

Practice pit and pole age questions

Unread postby iamchrismoran » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:26 pm

Hi all... this is my first post... glad to be here!

I'll be starting coaching at my alma mater this coming season. We have the same mats we had when I vaulted in 1986-1990. They've not had vaulting since the pit regulation changes, unable to justify the expense of the extensions.

My first question: Do the mat/pit coverage regulation changes apply to PRACTICE as well as meets? Meaning, could I still practice with those mats, so long as we don't do competition? Is there a reference with respect to this somewhere? The head coach/AD (my old coach) seemed to think that we couldn't practice on those mats, but it just seems ridiculous.

I'm trying to find somewhere to donate, loan or sell cheaply a set of mats or extensions.

The seconds question is about poles. We have poles, but they aren't new. I think the newest might be 6 years old or so. Is there a lifetime/age issue with poles? What is approaching prime? Past prime? "Don't touch this pole" age? Are "my" 20 year old poles that weren't used much after I left useful for anything?

ALL of the vaulters will be complete newbs, except me. I haven't vaulted since 92, so I'm losing/converting weight and will build up my shoulder strength to get back into vaulting shape if I can - I'm 35. I expect that if we have a good season, with likely 3 girls and 3-5 boys, we might have some getting to 9' - older stronger daring kids. ;)

thanks,
Chris

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:54 am

I'll submit my two bits worth. I think the pits shouldn't be used as part of any school activity. However, you will be able to sell them very easily. Many of us would love to get old HS pits for use at home. There, we would be taking on the liability ourselves. You can look on ebay and check sold items and find they usually sell easily.

Regarding poles, they don't really "age". They only become unsafe by damage, usually by accidental spiking or the pole hitting a hard object like the standards. Look at all your poles for any significant dings or deep scratches.

As far as you coming back to vaulting, congratulations. You'll find a lot of support and help here. You are coming back at 35, I came back at 56 (now 61) and am having a great time!

- master

PS When you are looking for something on PVP, the search feature is very useful.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Practice pit and pole age questions

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:28 am

iamchrismoran wrote:My first question: Do the mat/pit coverage regulation changes apply to PRACTICE as well as meets? Meaning, could I still practice with those mats, so long as we don't do competition? Is there a reference with respect to this somewhere? The head coach/AD (my old coach) seemed to think that we couldn't practice on those mats, but it just seems ridiculous.

Your AD will never let you use them because if one kid got hurt in practice and sued, the school would have a significantly higher chance of losing, and that is not a risk they are likely willing to take.

Whether or not they are actually safe to practice on is somewhat irrelevant.

iamchrismoran
PV Newbie
Expertise: Coach, Former HS/College Vaulter, Current wanabee

Unread postby iamchrismoran » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:32 am

master wrote:I'll submit my two bits worth. I think the pits shouldn't be used as part of any school activity. However, you will be able to sell them very easily. Many of us would love to get old HS pits for use at home. There, we would be taking on the liability ourselves. You can look on ebay and check sold items and find they usually sell easily.

I'm sure they could sell easily. Half of my non vaulting time during track season back then was filled with talk of one day having a home where I could put a runway and a pit with layers of old mattresses. Having a relatively legit set of mats would be insanely cool. Unless we were to actually be able to find funding to buy a new set altogether, selling would not be an option.

Regarding rainbowgirl28's point about lawsuit risk - yeah, that's a big concern. Things just aren't like they were 20 years ago. If I hurt myself vaulting, I highly doubt my parents would have thought of suing the school. I was troubled by the new regulations for mats and even more troubled by how monopolistic getting legal seems to be. In Vermont, it appears that there are a significant number of schools no longer offering vaulting because they cannot afford proper mats, especially with the shorter seasons and usually smaller vaulting squads.

Regarding poles, they don't really "age". They only become unsafe by damage, usually by accidental spiking or the pole hitting a hard object like the standards. Look at all your poles for any significant dings or deep scratches.

Is this an opinion or generally accepted practice? The head coach seemed to think the older poles might be too old. I think we were both assuming that time could effect the fiberglass or something. I'm pretty sure the collection of poles we have from all that time ago is more than likely very damage free. Beyond inspecting for dings, deep scratches or holes, is there another way to test the integrity? Not having to buy new poles would be amazing, though I think we might anyway because we never had female vaulters, so the lightest poles we likely have are 125 or so (I'll have to check) and I'm pretty sure some of those interested girls are much lighter than that. I think I was 135 back then and used a 145 pole. I'm hoping to be down to 165 by spring, but might need to buy a pole for myself, I don't know what the "heaviest" pole we had was

As far as you coming back to vaulting, congratulations. You'll find a lot of support and help here. You are coming back at 35, I came back at 56 (now 61) and am having a great time!

It looks like it. I was highly encouraged by reading the thread with Tom and someone else about testing pole weight theories and seeing much older people than me only 5 years back into it. Since I had a shoulder surgery a few years ago (non-dominant arm) I'm concerned, but plan on really building the stretch and support back into my shoulders.

PS When you are looking for something on PVP, the search feature is very useful.

I did search on the pole age and practice question. Wording of searches is often important. This also gave me a good opportunity to jump in with a post.

Sorry if I wandered OT for the coach forum. I'm kind of excited.
Chris
http://iamchrismoran.blogspot.com
PR 11'6" (1990)
PV Coach at Spaulding HS, Barre, VT

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”