vaulter

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

jeffschu
PV Beginner
Expertise: High school Coach

vaulter

Unread postby jeffschu » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:55 am

I am a Coach in Small town in Missouri, and I have heard this rumor going on now for the second year that at meets they will weigh in the vaulters. Now I know for a fact if I weigh myself in my office I am 175 if I go to the high school gym on that scale I weigh 183 and that is a huge difference in poles. I just want to know if other states are doing this and what is your opinion of this. I know that if you hold lower on the pole it is a stiffer pole. My girl vaulter was on a 10ft 100 and did not even bend the pole and never was in danger. I would like some feed back.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: vaulter

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:45 am

You could try insisting that they use a certified wrestling scale, but there is nothing in the rules that says they have to.

The rules say they have to be on poles above their weight, so you have from now until track season to try to find her an 11'110 or whatever she needs. It's dumb when they are straight poling, obviously it doesn't matter, but the rules are what they are.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Re: vaulter

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Tennessee has been weighting high school kids for about 10 years now! the usually use a house hold bathroom scale laying on the runway.....the kids really sweat the weigh in before the meet. I think it's an added pressure that's really unfortunate for those who are really trying to do their best...

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”