Help for non-vaulter vault coach

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

crumpman
PV Beginner

Help for non-vaulter vault coach

Unread postby crumpman » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:04 pm

I coach high school vault but was a dull and boring distance runner. I have had some success, but the one thing I can not tell my vaulters is how the vaults feels or what sensations to be looking for.....any pointers I could give my vaulters for the feel of the vault?
Crumpman
Run, jump and play like you mean it.

AVCPV
PV Newbie

Unread postby AVCPV » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:24 pm

It feels awkward to be in the right positions at first because the right positions are not the safe feeling positions. Like pulling yourself to the pole feels safe on the take-off but it causes you to lose momentum and stops pole movement.
-- Don't leave anything in the bag!

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:00 pm

yeah, and swinging all the way upside down certainly doesnt feel very safe at first! :P
What have you done today to get better?

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:41 am

hmm...sticky situation.... iremember reading an article, i think it was posted somewhere here, that alked about the body's natural reference of position and why it makes vaulting hard. it explains that when walking you determine position by feet contact, and when moving from the ground to a pole, its a natural reaction to pull up to it instead or press up like the vault. i would suggest doin a lot of stuff that has to do with vault actions that feel unnatural, i.e. hanging upside down. ive gotten a better feel for vaulting in just hanfing from bars upside down, doin plant drills with arms goin up, etc. another thing that helped my vault is developing a better ability to learn new movements, in other words, easier ability to acquire coordination. i learned this by doing diving in the off season as well as learning how to skateboard, snowboard and surf. the more coordination-involving sports, the easier it is to learn new sports. i was able to pick-up snowboarding and surfing (to the point where i would rarely fall) in a bout a day due to this method...... dont know if that helps

C-townvault
PV Whiz

Unread postby C-townvault » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:06 pm

Swimming and diving in the summer is a definet help to the body coordination. Just started diving this past year but i swam since i was a young pup. Great shoulder workout :yes:

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:42 pm

i think swimming is agreat shoulder workout, but it doesnt translate into explosive strength needed for vault. most good vaulters swimmers i know (like first in state) are skinnier than me. not to say a lot of strength is necessary in vault, if you have good technique, timing w/ pole, etc.
diving is great!

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”