ALL YOU NEED IS THREE POLES

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: ALL YOU NEED IS THREE POLES

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:30 pm

Shoot... my newbie HS girls are still on our 10'6 130... Actually most of my boys are not even on 12' poles yet. Guess I don't have as good of athletes as they grow down in Florida.

Barefoot
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby Barefoot » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:24 am

Well it was three poles to jump 14' . I guess if you can get on that first 12' pole first...

Seriously... Not everyone, male or female is capable of jumping 14'. But the technique forums are filled with "which pole next" discussions. I have seen HS vaulters go to 14' in three poles... well, I've seen one or two do it... It's worth noting that perhaps... perhaps... perhaps... the issue for some is not the pole, but the coach and/or the vaulter.

So if we only had three poles in the right sizes, with a capable athlete, could we do it and what would we learn about how we teach the vault?

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:00 am

good morning..

thanks Barefoot..

that is all i'm trying to promote... teaching the vault correctly without always "looking" for the next pole..

i know there are younger, smaller athletes that "can" use a smaller/shorter pole... but are we teaching correctly if we teach "bend" first???

i personally feel that (9-2 grip) 7 foot vaults for girls and (10-6 grip) 9 foot vaults for boys should be on "none bending" poles...

then there would be a better chance that the best teaching and learning is taking place.. and the right athlete is in the event for safety purposes..

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”