New to coaching

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

xtremevaulter

New to coaching

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:25 pm

Hey everyone, I am trying to reach out to anyone and everyone who has some advice for someone who has been pole vaulting for six years and is now going to start coaching his former high school team while I take my Red Shirt year at college.

SO please anyone that has some helpful coaching tips, it would be greatly appriciated. thanks alot...And good luck to all those who are about to start either high school track or for college their outdoor season.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:43 am

just remember you are coaching high school!

The hardest thing I ran into in making the transition fromo jumping in college to coaching hS was I got a little too technical. Just focus on the basics skills needed to vault (pole carry, approach, plant, and takeoff). I'm not saying don't work on the swing, but stick to the fundamentals.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Peepers PV
PV Pro

coaching

Unread postby Peepers PV » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:02 am

I can't help you with any technique tips, and I'm not a coach. But my mom is, and she's always said that the best way to get results out of someone is to make sure that they know what they did right. Always point out the positive things that one of your kids did while you are trying to point out problem areas. You'd be surprized at how effective this is.

Don't show up your kids all of the time- they will feel like they are doing more things wrong in comparison to a usual vaulter- when in reality they are just your average joe beginners.

Try as much as possible to verbalize what you want them to do, or better yet have a more advanced vaulter demonstrate what you want.

Patience is a virtue- not every vaulter progresses at the rate you would like. so if they stick with it so should you :).

Be sure that you are democratic with your time. Every vaulter on your team is important and you need to make sure that they know this by giving everyone an equal amount of coaching.

People are headcases, so if you can keep your kids positive and excited- you will get great results!

I hope this helps! You're going to be an awesome coach, and good luck to you and your vaulters this season! You're going to do great :D!

Lori
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

xtremevaulter

Re: coaching

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:17 am

Peepers PV wrote:You're going to be an awesome coach, and good luck to you and your vaulters this season! You're going to do great :D!

Thanks for the confidence booster. :)

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”