Start of second week with new vaulter.

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Start of second week with new vaulter.

Unread postby grandevaulter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:51 pm

Here is a video of my newest young man. I have started him from scratch with the BTB2 drills. 20/20s, straight leg pole runs, ostrich steps, stay behind the pole drills and three step plant. He keeps the trail leg long in the drill but pulls it under him over the bar. He likes to pull with the top arm also. I can see that I have work to do on the approach as far as the pole carry and the knee drive. First competition in two weeks. I still don't have a high bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf1M24ujiTs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIu9ecOfqPo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JKDUr7h0k4

Can you figure out who is in the last video.

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Start of second week with new vaulter.

Unread postby altius » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:26 am

On track!! But high bar?? -- needed if you hope to improve left leg swing. Hope you have good insurance!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.

Unread postby grandevaulter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:07 pm

I picked up the 1" bar and the brackets. I'll fasten one bracket into a block wall and make a stand for the other side with bolts.. Appears I have it approved. We just have to agree on a location and install.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:58 am

You will see the impact very quickly.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:14 pm

I'm still politicking on the location of the high bar. The director wants in in a spot that I can not get a full 180 degree swing. The area where they let me set up the pit on the weekends is ideal but they're are some issues. If I make it free standing and portable, I can use that area ( more work).

The young man that I am coaching was able to make a much better swing this weekend but has confused turning with turning around the pole and not pivoting his body. I worked with him on the simple swing and turn drill and he seemed to be getting it, but then reverted big swing around the pole when going over the the rubber strap. I'm pleased with his progress for three weeks of weekend vaulting. We go the an indoor meet this Saturday. He'll get to see great high school vaulters. I think that is part of the learning process too.

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:23 am

He quickly figured out that his 4 left approach was too short and starting with the pole held at the ear. 1 miss at 10' 3 ".( However he would loose control in practice at 6) Moved back to 5 and knocked it off with the feet and last attempt with thighs. We watched the good vaulters with long swings (take off leg) and good head/chest positions (not tucking head into chest to watch the bar).

We'll watch some approach, plant and take off and swing video this week and go back to work on those elements.

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”