Insightful

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Insightful

Unread postby coachjvinson » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:23 am

Great perspectives from Coach Clymer at Wake Forest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqEdocpfcM

What is not specifically stated, but what is generally accepted, is that a powerful, forceful and deliberate swing not only allows the vaulter to cover the pole efficiently with finesse; but more importantly, the powerful, forceful and deliberate swing generates additional pole speed and pole movement past vertical in order that the vaulter's trajectory is directed safely and deeply into the pit.

V
PURSUITOF2016

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Re: Insightful

Unread postby grandevaulter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:07 am

:yes:

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:35 pm

coachjvinson wrote:Great perspectives from Coach Clymer at Wake Forest.

What is not specifically stated, but what is generally accepted,INTERESTING COMMENT THIS -BECAUSE NOT SO LONG AGO ON THIS FORUM YOU WOULD HAVE FOUND A MAJOR DEBATE ABOUT THIS. IT TOOK TIME TO CONVINCE SOME FOLK THAT MODERN POLE VAULT TECHNIQUE WAS MORE LIKE A FOUR STAGE ROCKET - RATHER THAN BEING LIKE A 19TH CENTURY CANNON WITH A SINGLE EXPLOSION - IE ENERGY ONLY GOING INTO THE POLE AT TAKE OFF. THE LATTER WAS A VERY STRONG BELIEF AMONG MANY IN THE POLE VAULT COMMUNITY A FEW YEARS AGP - FROM THE OVERWHELMING SILENCE ON THIS ISSUE AT THE PRESENT TIME I CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT WHAT YOU ARE SAYING HERE - AND WHAT WAS FORCEFULLY EMPHASISED IN BOTH BTB1 AND BTB2 HAS BEEN ACCEPTED IE THAT a powerful, forceful and deliberate swing not only allows the vaulter to cover the pole efficiently with finesse; but more importantly, the powerful, forceful and deliberate swing generates additional pole speed and pole movement past vertical in order that the vaulter's trajectory is directed safely and deeply into the pit.

V
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka

Unread postby coachjvinson » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:59 pm

altius wrote:
coachjvinson wrote:Great perspectives from Coach Clymer at Wake Forest.

What is not specifically stated, but what is generally accepted,...

altius wrote:INTERESTING COMMENT THIS -BECAUSE NOT SO LONG AGO ON THIS FORUM YOU WOULD HAVE FOUND A MAJOR DEBATE ABOUT THIS. IT TOOK TIME TO CONVINCE SOME FOLK THAT MODERN POLE VAULT TECHNIQUE WAS MORE LIKE A FOUR STAGE ROCKET - RATHER THAN BEING LIKE A 19TH CENTURY CANNON WITH A SINGLE EXPLOSION - IE ENERGY ONLY GOING INTO THE POLE AT TAKE OFF. THE LATTER WAS A VERY STRONG BELIEF AMONG MANY IN THE POLE VAULT COMMUNITY A FEW YEARS AGO - FROM THE OVERWHELMING SILENCE ON THIS ISSUE AT THE PRESENT TIME I CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT WHAT YOU ARE SAYING HERE - AND WHAT WAS FORCEFULLY EMPHASISED IN BOTH BTB1 AND BTB2 HAS BEEN ACCEPTED I.E. THAT

altius wrote:
coachjvinson wrote:...a powerful, forceful and deliberate swing not only allows the vaulter to cover the pole efficiently with finesse; but more importantly, the powerful, forceful and deliberate swing generates additional pole speed and pole movement past vertical in order that the vaulter's trajectory is directed safely and deeply into the pit.

V

I took the initiative to rearrange the aforementioned quotes...

I am truly thankful for all of the shared insights, debates and intellectual perspectives...

While I may have certain points of emphasis and perspectives which are individual to me, said perspectives are only possible due to the road that was paved for me to walk on by many...

If I am able to give only a portion in comparison, then I have given greatly...

Thank you,
V
PURSUITOF2016

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.

Unread postby grandevaulter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:20 pm

After I watched this youtube, I became inspired. I played the first chapter ( technical model) of the BTB2 dvd for my young vaulters. (All Bubka footage) Narrated by Alan Launder. We paused from time to time to discuss the key phases. Went into drills, 20-20, claws, ostriches, three step plant, free take off drill. Worked on the run up until I was satisfied that they were striking the ramp with authority and getting a proper knee lift. It is a very handy tool to bring the laptop into practice and play the dvd.

grandevaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby grandevaulter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:24 pm

coachjvinson wrote:If I am able to give only a portion in comparison, then I have given greatly...

You are a deep thinker coach. I truly appreciate your contributions.

coachjvinson
PV Whiz

Unread postby coachjvinson » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e1q_59KHBM

This is another from Coach Clymer, in the video he articulates his interpretation of the model and compares jumps of Bubka and Hartwig - both World Class athletes with differences in their technical models and styles...

Incidentally, I found the information while researching Dan Pfaff's model of the pole plant as the subject came up in Coach Eric's thread... In Coach Clymer's video, he notes that Coach Pfaff popularized the term...

It's interesting to note the organic nature and origins of the ideas and methodologies which shape our thoughts and perspectives...

I know that some time in 2011' I came across Kirk's writings, and while I had forgotten the post, I am certain that his information had an influence on the development of my thinking as I had not forgotten the content...
PURSUITOF2016

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”