National Pole Vault Safety Certification

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:15 pm

I attended the WA pole vault safty clinic this sat. I thought it was really good. There was a lot of hands on for the coaches. I think it is a grat step forward. I wonder how it will effect the coaches that are "baby sitting" the vault. Some of the termanolgy that is common to you or I was way beyond some of the attendees, you coulld see thier eyes glass over and they were not following what the instructor was teaching. I'm not sure what the answer is to that problem.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Its a good idea, but......

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:50 pm

how much of an effect is it really going to have? Unless this is mandated by an organization such as the NFHS or USATF, there's no way to make sure that vaulters are being coached by a certified coach. There are enough ignorant folks out there who would think that $40 to start and $20 a year after that is a waste of money to be told that they know (or don't know) what they're doing.

Unless this becomes a requirement, i don't see a high number of individuals participating.

One other question that comes to mind, have any liability issues been taken into account? i know some states require all high school coaches to carry some sort of coaching certification(ex. ASEP) which protects the coach from liability in case of an accident due to negligence on the coach's part. I'm just worried that an unexperienced coach who can learn enough of the rules and ideas to become certified will be unaware of liabiltiy issues that may stem from an accident casued by their lack of coaching experience where the family may decide to file a lawsuit against the individual.

just a thought

ps - dean, if you need some development work done that is PV related, I might be able to help you out at a MUCH cheaper rate. :)
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:56 pm

Jan is hoping to have it become mandated by the NFHS by next year. I think there is even a NFHS person on the advisory board. As for liability, he said something in Reno about the NFHS having really deep pockets... I don't remember how he put it exactly. It was in response to a similar question. Perhaps someone else who was there can help me out.

titojumps
PV Wannabe

Unread postby titojumps » Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:57 am

hey deanimo,

how does the certification process differ from one of jan's or earl's camps?

tito

btw. it's cold and snowy in germany right now. i'm ready to come home and jump in some deep boxes and big pits!

titojumps
PV Wannabe

Unread postby titojumps » Sun Feb 02, 2003 10:32 am

i was just thinking about the free market thing. if people wern't happy with paying the $40 for certification, why couldn't someone else start up another cert. process where they would charge less? if one is upset about paying someone else for a service they feel is not worth the money, then one could offer the same service for whatever price they think is fair.

and now we run into another issue. who is qualified to offer this service? who wants to donate their time and energy to this process? the next person who is qualified and wants to donate their time to this process will likly charge less. problem is, i think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who is willing to put in what it takes to complete a project as big as this.

gpc3
PV Wannabe

Unread postby gpc3 » Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:38 am

It' not like you can just build a better mousetrap. An undertaking such as this requires so much more than just expertise and administration. They've got a necessary service, the best that's out there. They should not, however, be in this to make any money (which I doubt they are, cuz there won't be a whole lot), because it's a safety issue.
You can never clear a bar you never attempt.

baggettpv
PV Master

NW Pole Vault Coaches Certification

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:27 am

Here in the NW the state associations are looking at picking up the cost of the program designed by Tim Reilly (Wa. state chairman of Development). In Oregon the same program is going to the board this week for approval as a recomendation to all the schools in the state. There will be no cost to the coaches. The clinics will be spread out throughout the states during the year so travel expenses will be at a minimum also.
The program encompasses not only the technical progressions to develop the skills of the PV (saftey, rules, poles and facilities), but also Training Principles/Periodization, Speed development, Strength Development, Sports Psychology, Psychomotor Learning and Nutrition. Things that can't be a part of standard internet, work book, lecture or discussion format. This program is designed by educators for educators. Hands on application.
Think about it, being taught by successfull educators who became successfull coaches thru hard work, continuing education and application of new concepts.

Cya in the NW,

Rick

wlanier

Saftey First

Unread postby wlanier » Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:58 pm

Dean (and everyone else)-
I'm fully behind the project. You said send comments and here are a few brief ones:

- We all know kids get stupid at meets while their coach is timing the 2 mile. Something has to be done to empower/educate officials regarding safe vaulting. (The PLZ is a great start). Most of these meets are officiated by volunteers.

- The idea that certification can happen in a variety of locations at a myriad of camps is a good one, but a governing body should oversee it. Mainly I'm concerned that good coaches, putting on good clinics, are going to be turned down when they request permission to certify people at their facility. This could happen for a variety of reasons (all of which are in my over-active imagination at this point), from just not knowing the right people, to having their clinic in competition with another more connected coach...you see where I'm going.

- Lastly, research is great, but what about a financial resource for schools struggling for compliance and/or coaching stipends. If this became a national Charity or Grant with corporate sponsorship...programs and lives could be saved. (It's time for some of the bigger track and field/vault companies to pony-up.)

That's it. I'm interested in anyone's thoughts, but not knee-jerking motions.

warren

dstarkey
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter, Former College coach
Lifetime Best: 19'5"

Unread postby dstarkey » Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:55 pm

I think everyone has legitimate concerns about having a certification program that suits everyone. The PVSCB is not here to replace programs such as the one in WA but merely to offer some sort of support to the other 49 states. If each state had someone that was as interested in putting in time as the coaches doing the certification in WA we would not have needed to put this safety board together. From what I have heard they are doing a great job.

We have listened to every concern from every source regarding all issuses of certification including cost. Some of you brought up some good points such as to 15,000 schools x $40... Yep, that would be alot of money if it were mandated. First of all we knew from the start that it was not likely the NHSF would not mandate a certification program due to the liability issues. If that were to happen for some reason we would lower the price accordingly. We have already responded to your feedback and those of many other coaches and have lowered the price to $20 which certifies you for 2 years. This will make this program within the reach of every coach that needs this service.

Jan and I did not start this project to get rich off of last years headlines. We are trying to make this a much safer sport for everyone and hope to reduce those headlines by educating every coach and athlete out there. It does however take time and money to put a project of this magnitude together.

Also, we are in the beginning stages of this and will be improving and adding services that will better our sport.

Sorry if I did not address everyones issues. You can also email directly at dean@pvscb.com.

Keep the comments coming in. We are listening!

Dean

zack

Unread postby zack » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:55 am

Dean thank you for coming back and answering these questions. I hope the program can continue to evolve and improve.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion

Certification in WA

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:47 am

Well, i attended the washington state pole vault coaching certification clinic today and received my certification. I'd have to say the clinic was geared more towards novice coaches since it primarily covered basic safety principles, training methods and progressions, pole management and risk assessment. I can't say that i really learned anything from it that i didn't already know or picked up anything new. I also can't really say with any confidence that some of the other attendees should be considered "certified" to coach the vault merely based on attending a 3 hour clinic, since there was no real assessment of knowledge at any time, just mainly instruction and group discussion. There was so much material to be covered in such a short period of time that i feel a lot of things were just glossed over in the interest of time.

The one positive I did take away from it was that it was good to get a lot of the safety issues fresh in my mind. I also liked how they introduced some critical thinking exercises that simulated decisions a coach would make at a meet.

i do think its a great start to what should become a very fine certification program.

ashcraftpv
That one guy

PVSCB

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:06 pm

Looks like the Pole Vault Certification Safety Board has lowered the price from $39.95 to $19.95 and has made the cert good for 2 years instead of 1.

check it out

http://www.pvcsb.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”